1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Continuous Journey: 2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2024.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't think of a time when this ever happened. Not saying it didn't, but I don't know of any. I know the Bills should have squibbed it with 13 seconds left, but they blasted it to the end zone.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always thought the NFL undervalued its product by putting so many games on against each other. As much as a money-obsessed league as it is - they could stake out more territory. Start playing games on Saturdays all during the season. Putting Six and seven games in the same window on Sundays is a waste. Every game now has "national interest" - its not a regional thing.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Think that's unlikely. Broadcast partners have big investment in college football and indirectly so does the NFL. Last thing owners want is to start paying for their minor leagues. And NFL games may be "national," but most of them have primarily regional interest. Ratings for the Pats game here in Boston were still high, but I can't imagine anyone west of the Connecticut Riber wanting to watch them last season.

4. DanOregon

A November game on Prime between Chicago and Carolina drew 9 million - for the 91st most watched program of 2023. Chicago and Carolina on a streamer.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the conflict with college football is the bigger issue. Sure, people would watch, but the NFL needs that relationship. As Michael_Gee pointed out, the NFL wants to continue to take advantage of the NCAA as a minor league.

6. DanOregon

Sure, ok. Of course, imagine if the NFL says - hey colleges - We'll take August through mid-February. You take mid-February through June. I mean...sounds ridiculous - but given the price the networks are paying for rights, why not maximize value. I am curious if on a per-hour basis/ad revenue/audience, the NFL is a greater value than a scripted show.

The way colleges are going, I wouldn't say anything is off the table in terms of what they would do.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 prevents the NFL from televising games on Friday and Saturday from the second weekend in September through the second weekend in December.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Really? The networks are lucky if the 4:30 game and Sunday night game are halfway decent. Spreading games out so I can watch Jacksonville play Carolina is not high on my list.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yeah but the Red Zone channel makes sure I get the most out of those early window games :)

11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Make the Sunday windows 11, 2, 5 and 8. And make every Sunday a double-header for both networks. That's a six-game guarantee, plus Sunday, Monday and Thursday nights each week. That's nine of 16 most weeks, and closer to all of them during bye weeks. Double up on Mondays and Thursdays and you could show nearly every game. I'm amazed they don't already do this. Instead, some Sundays we get one game at 1, and one game at 4, plus the Thurs-Sunday night-Monday games. That's 5-of-16 when the league is all playing. That sucks.

misterbc likes this.
  12. DanOregon

My larger point is that the NFL is intent on adding additional weeks to the season to increase rights fees - give fans and networks more "product." They waste "product" by putting five and six games on against each other each week.

Draft saved Draft deleted