1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major bridge collapse in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is an international standard with the containers - how about an international standard on maximum size of ships. I understand bigger is better, but you end up putting the onus on ports to be able to handle such large ships.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

There is. As big as you can fit through the Panama or Suez Canal.

Edit: Looked it up, the Dali (156 feet) is wider than Panamax (107) and just barely under Suezmax (157.5), probably on purpose.

bueller and Justin_Rice like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

During the winter, a driver had dropped off a load at our store and was following GPS to his/her next stop. That stop was not up the windy mountain road he/she was on berthed truck broke down and had to be towed.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

ISO containers are max 40 feet, capy 40 tons.

Domestic containers are max 53 feet. Try to steer that through the backstreets of Hong Kong.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Long post but well worth a look to understand what was likely going on.

6. Neutral Corner

7. goalmouth

Can't figure the Maggat conspiracies. Fat Orange Hitler has been selling them bridges for years.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What's the point of this post?

The original Tweet stated how a ship is fighting current and wind constantly and a video in a previous post explained how putting a ship in reverse will make it turn.

9. Neutral Corner

I posted it specifically to annoy you.

Jeeze.

There are a lot of specifics in that post that I had never seen before, and I thought it added something to the discussion or I would not have posted it. I have no experience piloting big ships, and the whole discussion of what the rudder does when one loses power was new to me.

10. goalmouth

Just to unlock a new fear, autonomous crewless ocean-going ships have been undergoing testing.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Self-driving airplanes (autopilot) have been crisscrossing the oceans since at least 1980. What's your point?

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I need a cigarette.

Draft saved Draft deleted