1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Louis Gossett Jr.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 29, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Diggstown is an awesome movie.

Regan MacNeil and Webster like this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Honey Roy Palmer

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's funny. Gossett played many memorable parts, but I was perhaps most impressed by his work in SF B movie called "Enemy Mine". He played an alien space fighter pilot opposite Dennis Quaid. They had fought and both fighters were so damaged that they both crashed on an alien planet. They wound up depending on each other to survive and eventually respected each other and became friends.

Gossett, under about fifteen pounds of latex rubber and makeup, brought the character to life. He studied birds and patterned the way his character moved on their movements. He did these weird vocalizations and trills as language. His character laid an egg and he brought a motherly feel to that development. Considering what he had to work with, both script and special effects, it was an amazing performance. It's an odd thing to remember him for after all these years, but my son loved the movie and I saw it repeatedly when he was young, and it stuck with me.

He was the first Black man to earn a Best Supporting Oscar. A fine actor to his rest.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always love seeing working actors - supporting actors - not really "stars" - but people that do TV - character parts in movies - suddenly get a great role that really shows what they can do. He was doing it for a good 15 years before Roots came along - and had a great run after that.

Readallover and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

CHAPPIE!

Batman likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe he's not really dead. Just dog paddling in the Med for a while until he gets picked up by an Egyptian trawler.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He deserves to be remember for more than Iron Eagle, but that’s what this USAF brat will always think of first. RIP.

Deskgrunt50 and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but he joins my "Thought He Was Already Dead" club.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

He should have won for An Officer and a Gentleman, and he did. That was an amazing performance.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

R. Lee Ermey was a consultant on "An Officer and a Gentleman," which is why I heard many of the same lines ("steers and queers" etc) in the opening scenes of "Full Metal Jacket."

Draft saved Draft deleted