1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

WHEN YOU’VE LOST RANDALL KENNEDY. . .

Kennedy may be left, but he is a serious man, and has been drawing away from CRT and the censorious practices of the campus left for quite a while now, without shedding his social democratic views. ... I’ll enjoy the spectacle of the DEI cultists attacking Kennedy as some kind of adjacent white supremacist. Because that’s all they’ve got.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So when CRT was too difficult to explain and actually find anyone using because, despite the simpletons’ assertions, it wasn’t a thing, they now come for DEI using similar arguments. This is just idiots who don’t understand, don’t want to understand and are so deep in replacement theory they think the world is ending.

Of course totalitarians first attack higher education because you don’t want people to actually think for themselves.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As always, you've nailed it.

A man whose whole life has been academia is attacking higher education. . ... A staunch defender of freedom of speech and whose calling card has been his commitment to academic freedom (ad nauseam) is a totalitarian who doesn't want people to actually think for themselves.

4. Spartan Squad

Can you show me on this doll where DEI hurt you? I mean seriously.

When I say totalitarian I mean Trump and his MAGA Brown Shirts who don’t want higher education to teach people to think critically. And there are those who are seizing on the don’t make us take a pledge because we might actually have to get out of our comfort zones who are getting suckered into it. This whole movement is about 1) making education inaccessible to all but a select few and 2) keep America a white culture. And I know, I know but dumbass Spartan, institutional racism isn’t a thing? Of course it is. Implicit and unconscious racist bias exists. And making some simpletons uncomfortable while learning how not to be an asshole is a small price.

I await the treatise about how I’m just a leftist cult follower who is drowning in CRT and wokeness and I’m killing free speech and something something boomer speak.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He's running against a white man, of course ... but given the obvious signs of dementia, that may come as a surprise to him.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Overlooking the misspellings.

You could have articulated those reasons without resorting to a simplistic, reductionist reply to the writer's opinion.

Your belief is still problematic. You want professors to pledge to some ideology. I don't see how that is not troubling.

7. Spartan Squad

Yeah, yeah I can’t spell. Secret shame and all of that.

The problem is as reductionist as it comes across, it does reduce to one troubling trend—even more troubling than pledging to an ideology (an ideology that wants people to be included in education not driven from it, BTW): This is an ongoing attack of education in America along racial and elitist grounds. CRT didn’t work because 1) it isn’t a thing beyond an advanced college course and 2) those arguing against it never really understood it. CRT argued there is institutional racism in the US, but the arguments against it turned into a hodgepodge of woke is bad. Now there is DEI. DEI is tangible. It is easier for people to understand and explain. So that is the next battlefield. It’s a dishonest argument because it isn’t really about a pledge to follow an ideology (again one that wants races, cultures and ideas to be included not excluded). It’s about whitewashing. But they can’t call it whitewashing. So I don’t take the author nor those who use the op ed as a “see, I told you so” seriously.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Can you condense that a little? I want to put it on a T-shirt.

Smallpotatoes and Spartan Squad like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Right-winges love DEI

Denigrate
    Eliminate
    Intimidate

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Seven innings inside America's culture wars: Turbulence within Fort Myers baseball

Tate Reilly batted leadoff that day. The Fort Myers senior outfielder was surprised by the plum assignment. He had been on the varsity two seasons and batted in the bottom third of the order. Leading off should have buttressed the even better news he held in his heart: He received an offer to play at Albertus Magnus College, a Division III school in New Haven, Connecticut. He would soon be a college player, and receiving a firm scholarship represented a vindication of the hard work he'd put into a difficult game.

Madrid Tucker was to bat second. Tucker's father is Michael Tucker, who was the 10th overall pick by the Kansas City Royals in the 1992 draft. Tucker played for seven teams over a 12-year big league career, appearing in the National League Championship Series three times. Just a sophomore, Madrid played varsity as a freshman and already had been offered a dozen scholarships to play baseball, some at Power 5 schools. Six-foot tall and widely considered by his coaches to be the most promising player on the team, Madrid Tucker played in the prestigious Hank Aaron Invitational, the joint MLB/Players Association tournament in Vero Beach, Florida, designed to develop and increase the shrinking number of Black players in the majors. He was a high-level prospect, a three-sport star on a trajectory for Division I or the Major League amateur draft by the time he graduates. According to one national prep tracking service, in 2023 he was ranked second at shortstop in talent-rich Florida and 75th overall in the nation.

While Madrid stood in the on-deck circle taking practice cuts, Reilly saw two pitches. On the second, Robert Hinson, the Fort Myers third-base coach -- his coach -- walked off the field. Seconds later, two more coaches and at least nine Fort Myers players followed out of the dugout. One player walking off the field said, "I'm out," to which Hinson added, "I'm out of here."

Led by their adult coaches and supported by their parents, members of the Fort Myers high school baseball team quit a game and left their two teammates, Reilly and Tucker, who happened to be the only two players of color on the team, alone on the field.

Xavier Medina, an assistant coach for Estero, watched from across the diamond. In all his years coaching youth sports, he had never seen a team abandon its own players. As the bizarre scene unfolded, he was witnessing the antithesis of what sports were supposed to be about. The cliches of teamwork and togetherness were collapsing in real time. Players wearing the same uniform were not united against Estero. They were divided against themselves. His second conclusion was even worse: The walkout did not appear to be a reckless act concocted by teenagers, but rather orchestrated and blessed by coaches and parents. The kids were taking the lead from the grown-ups.

Draft saved Draft deleted