1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Sterling retiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

2. Readallover

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

“He is gooooooooone!”

One of those guys you loved to hate, but the presentation was outstanding. He also didn’t seem to take himself too seriously. Godspeed.

Liut likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

His home run calls were contrived to beyond ridiculousness but he was very long tenured in the booth.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Like wicked said, it was natural to roll your eyes at him if you were on the other side. But Yankees broadcasts will never be quite the same.

6. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

I remember when he called New York Islanders games on radio. Not the best, not the worst. Never thought much of his baseball style, especially the home run calls. Considering the previous playcallers with the Yankees – Allen, Barber, to name two – I thought he was awful. I wish him great health.

Liut likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought he was awful, too.
    Stayed way past his "prime" [coughcough], too.

8. Readallover

“It is high, it is far....caught for an out." Too many of these flubs in recent years, he should have stepped down sooner.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Knew a guy who worked with Sterling when he was doing Atlanta Hawks games.
    Described Sterling as, away from work, only being interested in "people who owned yachts." That was a long time ago, of course. Maybe he evolved into a more humble person.
    Congrats on a long career ... and wishing for good health.

Draft saved Draft deleted