1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When do we hear the "outrage" that Clark isn't on the Olympic women's team?

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They haven't announced the team yet. They have until July 7 and I assume they will wait to the deadline to see if there are injuries during the season leading up to the break

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

While I don't know if Clark is the fourth or fifth or sixth best guard in the US - I'm sure NBC - and the women's USA hoop squad would welcome the attention she would bring to the team. Jealousy? Sure. But the US women's team gets very little pub during the Olympics because there is so little drama in their games, I actually think the other players would welcome a little more primetime coverage than they usually get during the Games - which is maybe some look-ins on the early rounds - and the final.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I think this is actually it. Gregg, for better and worse (and this is definitely for worse), leans into where he is and makes it who he is. He was the fuck you let's fucking rumble guy at CBSSports.com. Then he went to Indy and he became the small-town sentimentalist sticking up for oft-beleaguered Indiana/Indianapolis. The Colts are mostly a mess w/Irsay running the show, the Pacers haven't won a playoff series since 2014, the Fever were bad enough to get Clark, Purdue kept finding new and interesting ways to choke and Indiana hoops is irrelevant and clinging to past glories. So there's not much going their way.

But this month has been great for Indiana and great/awful for Gregg's persona. Purdue made it to the national title game and he turned it into good vs. evil and wrote about Dan Hurley's insane sideline demeanor. Is Hurley insane? Yes. But he's just the most honest of his peers, all of whom are as insane but have a filter. Also, he's an incredible coach who just built a back-to-back champion. Also, Gregg writes in a state where Bob Knight is an icon. Maybe lay off on writing about how poorly behaved coaches are bad!

Getting Clark is a huge boon for the Indy area so my guess is Gregg went all-in on the Chamber of Commerce angle and the word diarrhea tumbled from his mouth. The heart thing was bad enough and the comment thereafter was just the dumbest doubling down. But let's be careful about piling on the guy and joining alliances with the bad faith actors looking to get their hypocritical pounds of flesh. Fuck Dave Portnoy, who is a walking sexual assault. Fuck Outkick too, which wants to screech about how trans athletes are dangerous to women athletes but couldn't name every WNBA franchise if you gave them an hour on Wikipedia.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

To advance the calendar comp, they put Laettner on the Dream Team and not Shaq.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This is your starting point, the training camp roster, and one isn't going to make it because the limit is 12:

Diana Taurasi
    Ariel Atkins
    Chelsea Gray
    Brittney Griner
    Jewell Loyd
    Kelsey Plum
    Breanna Stewart
    A’ja Wilson
    Jackie Young
    Shakira Austin
    Sabrina Ionescu
    Aliyah Boston
    Rhyne Howar

If you look at the last Olympic roster and want to assume, these seven would be back:

Taurasi
    Atkins
    Gray
    Griner
    Loyd
    Stewart
    Wilson

Of the onthers:

Skylar Diggins-Smith
    Sue Bird
    Napheesa Collier
    Sylvia Fowles
    Tina Charles

Diggins-Smith and Collier would be the only potential keepers.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is a Devil 93 post. Wow.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s good for the player.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"On our next 'Good Bones,' Mina and Karen are back in Fountain Square refurbishing a quaint but expensive cottage-like home for Caitlin Clark!."

playthrough likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted