1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ukraine Always Get What You Want

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 12, 2022.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Someone told me that Kazakhstan has inferior potassium!

wicked likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A small lobe of Kazakhstan crosses the Urals so it technically is European, I was told.

That said, Western media will pay little attention to it.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, Kazakhstan is loaded with natural resources. I believe that elevates to the level of a "strategically important" backwater.

Kazakhstan - Mining Equipment and Services

And as for a potential war there, it might not be a question of "want to."
    It's landlocked, sandwiched between several other nations we're not particularly friendly with at the moment — Russia and China being the two biggest, with Iran and Afghanistan right down the block — and who probably wouldn't want the U.S. or NATO staging military operations from within their borders. We'd need a high level of cooperation from about a half-dozen countries that aren't in a mood to give it to us.
    When we went into Afghanistan, we only had to pass over Pakistan. There's no way to get to Kazakhstan without overflying at least one of Iran, Afghanistan, Russia or China. Good luck with that.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Where do we stand with Georgia and Azerbaijan? If we could stage there (or Turkey and fly over said countries) and get to the Caspian, we’d have access. But that is an unfriendly corridor.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Turkey will do what it did before the Iraq War and prevent the U.S. from staging ops there. Folks don’t remember that was a big part of U.S. strategy for that war, and Erdogan’s party said no.

IIRC the Azerbaijanis are closer with the Russians and we’re closer with the Armenians.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure. Reading up on them in the CIA Fact Book, neither seems to be highly enamored with Russia or Iran. Russia did the same thing to Georgia that it did to Ukraine, and that it's threatening to do with Kazakhstan.

We used to have some marriages of convenience with a couple of the Stans during the War on Terror, but I'm not sure if that's the case any more. Even if we did, you still need to go past those other hostile actors or forge a multi-national alliance. Going through Georgia/Azerbaijan means navigating the Black Sea (which Turkey would put the kibosh on, to say nothing of the hazards posed by the Russia-Ukraine war); or the Middle East as a whole. You could probably drop a reaction force in there, but secure long-term logistics would probably be a problem even for us.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I can think of half a dozen corks in the ass of progress who infest our Congress who would improve things a great deal if they'd just up and die.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Incredible as this sounds, Putin suddenly dying might make things even worse. I think Medvedev is the one who would step up to replace him. Putin is evil, but Medvedev is evil AND batshit crazy.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Batshit crazy drunk.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It won't take Putin suddenly dying to put a succession plan in place. Medvedev succeeded Putin once while the Russian constitution still mattered.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Apparently the Ukrainians have shot down a long-ranger Russian nuke bomber about 250 miles inside Russia.
    Good for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted