1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    Dallas vs. Vegas
    Winnipeg vs. Colorado
    Vancouver vs. Nashville
    Edmonton vs. Los Angeles

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    Florida vs. Tampa Bay
    Boston vs. Toronto
    N.Y. Rangers vs. Washington
    Carolina vs. N.Y. Islanders

My first-round picks...
    Dallas in 7
    Colorado in 6
    Vancouver in 6
    Los Angeles in 7

Tampa in 6
    Boston in 5
    Rangers in 6
    Carolina in 7

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Florida vs. Tampa Bay: Florida in 6.
    Boston vs. Toronto: Boston in 5.
    N.Y. Rangers vs. Washington: not touching this.
    Carolina vs. N.Y. Islanders: Carolina in 5.

Dallas vs. Vegas: Dallas in 7.
    Winnipeg vs. Colorado: Winnipeg in 7.
    Vancouver vs. Nashville: Vancouver in 6.
    Edmonton vs. Los Angeles: Edmonton in 6.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My Kings get Edmonton for the third season in a row and I don’t see a different result. The other option was Dallas and I don’t like that matchup either.

The final matchups came down to the final two minutes of the final game of the season. Anaheim won in Vegas meaning LA would get third in the Pacific if they won. As soon as the Vegas game ended, Chicago scored three goals to take a lead over the Kings. LA tied it on a late power play to clinch third place then won 6 seconds into OT.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Winnipeg is 3-0 against the Avs, outscoring them 17-4. Colorado goaltending is a mess right now.

5. The Big Ragu

I think Colorado is the most talented team in the NHL. I think you pick against them at your peril. ... but Winnipeg is my (not such a) "sleeper" team to make a run. I love the make up of that team, especially for the playoffs. They have serious size, grit, and veteran players who are good, and one of the 2 or 3 best goalies in the world. It also seems like a group of players that are committed to that particular team.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. MileHigh

Agree on Winnipeg. Very physical. Colorado is really good but something is just off with that team. We'll see. Hoping for a real good series.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Caps-Rangers this season, it's been a minute since they've played:
    12/9 -- at WSH 4, NYR 0
    12/27 -- at NYR 5, WSH 1
    1/13 -- at WSH 3, NYR 2
    1/14 -- at NYR 2, WSH 1
    Total goals: 9-9

EDIT: To add these teams haven't played since the trade deadline and look entirely different than they did in these matchups. Not sure how much to read into them.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I've never been to Las Vegas....but go Vegas! (a friend works for the team)

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Florida vs. Tampa Bay: Florida in 6.
    Boston vs. Toronto: Toronto in 6.
    N.Y. Rangers vs. Washington: Rangers in 4.
    Carolina vs. N.Y. Islanders: Carolina in 7.

Dallas vs. Vegas: Dallas in 6.
    Winnipeg vs. Colorado: Colorado in 7.
    Vancouver vs. Nashville: Vancouver in 5.
    Edmonton vs. Los Angeles: Edmonton in 5.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if the Avs won the cup. Or lose in five.

The last three games sort of exemplify all of it -- all against playoff teams. Lost 7-0 to the Jets, at home nonetheless, were up 3-0 in the third against Vegas but lost 4-3 in OT, with the tying goals coming on like five shots, then trounced the Oilers.

The firepower of the team will never have them out of it, as long as physicality doesn't make them quit, but the goaltending and maybe defense also means no lead or game is safe.

Bet on them at your own risk.

11. MileHigh

Yeah. They are a hard read. The Jets loss was particularly baffling and alarming since it was in effect to decide home ice in the series.

12. The Big Ragu

I don't think it means anything when the playoffs start. But all of those games were clustered in the middle of the Rangers midseason slump. They didn't lose -- like barely at all -- in the first third of the season and the last third of the season.

But they had a stretch in December and January (when all of their games against the Caps were played) where they lost an awful lot. There were 8 losses in 12 games, at one point. Their record in January was 5-7-2.

Draft saved Draft deleted