1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't understand, this is 2024? Coaches think this still flies?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

At this point, if I were a coach I’d be more worried about other coaches watching my spring game and poaching my players while the portal is open.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mack was worried the broadcast might show Carolina defenders actually tackling someone.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. micropolitan guy

A worthless holdover from the infant days of pro/college football when the stadium clock was inaccurate or non-existent. The two-minute warning should be eliminated, not expanded. Another unnecessary three-minute stoppage of play to sell beer and cars and phones and further degrade the in-stadium experience.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. MileHigh

This is not an extra TV timeout. Those stay the same. The networks just have to hold onto one for the two-minute warning.

As a part-time college football official, the two-minute warning makes sense because clock rules change in the last two minutes of both halves. The clock stops on first downs that are reached when a player is tackled inbounds (vs. it continues to run in the other 28 minutes of the half). And the clock remains stopped when players go out of bounds (vs. it restarts once the ball is marked ready for play though in reality it's started as the ball is being relayed back in). Those rules went into effect last year and some clock operators (and officials) struggled with the adjustment so this was put in as a reminder to get everyone on the same page when it comes to the clock rules.

The 10-second runoff, aka ZAP 10, remains at under one minute in each half.

Liut, Batman and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

Well that's another one of my pet peeves (yes, I'm a grumpy old man). Don't change the rules depending on the clock. You don't get four strikes in the eighth and ninth innings after getting three the first seven.

Stopping the clock on a first down, and then restarting it when the chains are set, is so inconsistently applied it's ridiculous. Some refs wind the clock after five seconds, some wait until the offense is lined up even though the chains are set. The NFL rule is right. Keep the clock running when there is no OB or incomplete pass or penalty. That would make it much easier for the officials and timekeepers.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I hate copying all the NFL rules onto the college template. But I’m OK with the helmet communication.

9. MileHigh

There are tweaks late in all levels of football games when it comes to timing, even in high school. The college adjustment was long overdue and keeping the stopping on first downs in the last two minutes was the only way it was going to pass. I HATED stopping the clock on first downs that end inbounds. I still hate it in high school.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Reggie Bush is getting his Heisman back thanks to NIL.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He didn't even have to go to prison! /OJ

dixiehack likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Which is funny. Sure the Heisman folks can do whatever they want, but his benefits were absolutely NOT NIL related. What has happened with the NIL situation is as absurd as it was BEFORE the SCOTUS ruling with the colleges getting all the money generated by marketing the players.

The NCAA, colleges and universities and Big Football are so messed up right now. They have no clue how to get out of the mess they made for themselves. All those "big money" TV contracts and conference moves will all be pretty much moot the way schools are spending on players. Has anyone thought of scheduling a meeting to hammer out a framework for NIL? The portal? Maybe a set "stipend" paid by the athletic departments with players free to negotiate their own deals with businesses?

It seems as if agents are now fronting players cash to get them to enter the portal and hoping to profit off finding a more lucrative landing spot and taking home the balance.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted