1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running license plate thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 18, 2024.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm a little biased, but I'm a fan of New York's plates. My wife and I have this beauty (well, not *this* one) which was popular in the '70s and '80s before being brought back in 2010. These plates remind me of visiting my grandparents.

[​IMG]

They've also recently added region-specific plates. A little pricey but I do like the detail on the Long Island one.

[​IMG]
    As for other states, Florida has way too fucking many plates. I can't tell you how many times I come upon a car with an unfamiliar plate and I get excited hoping it's one we're missing and nope it's just fucking Florida. Ohio is getting that way too.

Also, this week I drove by a tractor trailer with ALBERTA plates. Now that was cool. But still no fucking Wyoming!!!! :D

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We played the license plate game on a summer road trip a few years ago, and crossed most off the list after walking around the parking lot at Graceland.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My walking group has a "count the different license plates" game when we go through an apartment complex in Microville. I think our record is 10 or 11, lots of OOS plates in a college town.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It took 20-plus years, but I finally have all 50, arranged (more or less) geographically on the back wall of my garage. The final few (a couple New England states, South Carolina) were found online by my wife and kids, about five are from my cars and moving around the Upper Midwest and Northwest, but most were found in antique and/or Knick Knack stores.

(I will add photos later)

Flip Wilson and Batman like this.
  5. I Should Coco

And if memory serves, three plates (New York, Pennsylvania, Texas) came to me as part of SJ.com’s Secret Santa gift exchange. Thanks for setting that up for several years, “Secret Santa”!

Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Here is my stab at license plate glory. Based on available images, shitty Photoshop and shitty resolution.

[​IMG]
    (EDIT: I dub this version "Darkansas.")

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Who decided that Tennessee's state shape is a parallelogram? The shape they keep putting on the plates is not even close to the real shape.

[​IMG]

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The problem with New York’s yellow plates are that if you drive in Ohio you look like you have court-ordered DUI plates.

9. I Should Coco

License plate collection photos ... starting with the "lower 48":

image0.jpeg

10. I Should Coco

The Pacific coast states, Alaska and Hawaii. I think the Alaska plates, with the Big Dipper flag, is one of my favorites.

image1.jpeg

MileHigh, Spartan Squad and Batman like this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Your Tennessee plate is from about 20 years ago and from the Maryville area outside of Knoxville.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Looks great. I love how you have them placed by geographic location.

Dog8Cats likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted