1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports writer, BANG

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HanSenSE, Apr 20, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Oof. Just did a quick Google search for apartments in the East Bay. Where could you find a one-bed, one-bath for less than $2,000 a month that would be central enough to cover both North Coast and Central Coast Sections? And that's not even factoring the cost of gas and wear and tear, plus living expenses. Forget a wife and kids.

Maybe they should advertise it as "high school: sports reporter." If you're living with Mom and Dad until graduation, you're hired.

Even when I worked in radio for $9,800 a year in Concord/Pittsburg in 1982, I was rooming with families I knew because I couldn't afford to live on my own.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not sure how many full-timers they have on preps, but they have an army of stringers rivaling what the Hearst Examiner had in the 80s and 90s. I've also seen the Sharks writer and NFL writer help out in the playoffs when available.

In the fall in the East Bay, of course, it means lots of Concord De La Salle football. In the South Bay, a lot of the West Catholic Athletic League.

Draft saved Draft deleted