1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Continuous Journey: 2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2024.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yeah, Brees would have never developed if he wasn't lucky enough to get traded to a team with a HOF coach.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Brees was good before Payton - not sure you can say the reverse. Brees was 20-11 in his last two years with the Chargers, 51 TDs to 22 picks. Payton is a .500 coach without Brees.

Liut likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Would you say he's a.......FRAUD? :D (I would)

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Savior Zach has been a complete washout and a SB winning coach has taken an interest in him. How can that be a bad thing for him?

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Bears announced the site without having their subsidies lined up. Arlington Heights only has a population of about 78k and the local citizenry objected. The county or state state were not going to come up with the money because the City of Chicago has a population of about three million who had no colelctive desire to move the stadium off the lake. That meant the Bears had no political support anyplace for the Arlington Heights stadium.

poindexter and I Should Coco like this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I mean, it's better than being in the AXUSFL, I guess? But as noted by @HappyCurmudgeon, this won't stop them from drafting a QB in the first round, which means Wilson, one way or the other, isn't gonna get the benefit of sitting behind an accomplished starter and getting a much-needed year or two to reset and absorb. Sitting behind Jarrett Stidham (or Ben DiNucci!) ain't gonna do that. I also think Wilson is spoiled & immature and those aren't traits he's likely to shake anytime soon. There's a better chance he's a free agent come week one than of him having a spot on the Broncos' active roster.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s a guaranteed contract. They aren’t trading for him to cut him.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It mentioned the Museum Campus, which is apparently near the Field Museum and south of Soldier Field. This sounds like the same location that was discussed a month ago.

10. DanOregon

Well clearly he can't make any QB great - you see a lot of coaches get "credit" for QBs they had zero impact on - some OCs become HCs, some luck into a great QB and struggle to find a replacement. Its one of the great credits to Joe Gibbs career that he won three SBs with three different QBs - None of them in the HOF. Payton does strike me as someone who feels he needs to "mold the clay" to get full credit. Always irritates me when a new coach comes in and feels he can't win with a QB who has been to the playoffs a couple of times (with someone else as coach).

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think many coaches who have success become subsumed by their egos. They decide the success was due to the genius if their system rather than because of the superior athletic talent of their players. They become convinced that if the player just does exactly what the system requires it will be successful. Whenever there is a failure it is the fault of the individual player, not the system.

I think Payton isa t that stage. Wilson, while statistically successful, was not a quarterback who ran Payton's system particularly well. So when something went wrong it was Wilson's fault for not running the system. Payton thinks if he can just find someone to run his system he will win. He believes his success in New Orleans was not because Drew Brees was a unique talent.

I think Belichick was the same way. He thought all his success in New England was due to his genius and that a sixth round draft pick like Brady could be easily replaced.

12. DanOregon

Parcells and Holmgren are the only two coaches who reached a Super Bowl after winning one - never got close again. I think its the need for "roster control" that kills a lot of coaches taking on new teams. Gruden was a HORRIBLE talent evaluator, reached on picks that weren't even as good as where they were expected to go. There are many other examples.

Draft saved Draft deleted