1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

They're required by law to have one by January. Sunak and the Tories know they're fucked, so they're probably going to hang on as long as they can. The last election was at least partially over Christmas (vote took place on Dec. 12), but that's the only one that's been that late in the year in the last 100 years.

Sentimentally you are right, but I think the people involved would say protesting at a time and location that is inconvenient and disruptive to the parties being protested is a big part of the point of having a protest and that the urgency of "doing something" about thousands of people dying is far more important than a bunch of 22-year-olds and their families being comfortable.

USC probably has a pretty vested interest in thousands of future alumni and their family not having their last memory of the alma mater being "ruined" by that protest. It's a lame attempt to defuse what is, for them, a terrible situation. Either the right wing is going to accuse them of a "woke" capitulation to a group that has common cause with murderous terrorists, or the left wing is going to accuse them of being complicit in a genocide.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To me, what's going on there looks more like a nascent holocaust.

Or maybe it's a nascent genocide.

It's what I have said before (with regard to the other "side.") We have devolved into complete idiocy, where people think if they use extreme, distorted language to try to frame their opinions, it somehow gives what they believe greater moral authority.

FWIW, I agree with him. I think Joe Biden himself should be on Columbia's campus right now thumping some skulls.

Azrael likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody wants the US military to be unleashed on US citizens as much at Tom Cotton. Dude probably whacks it watching footage from Kent State in 1970.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Exaggeration is the vocabulary of politics. Agreed.

But I'm old enough to remember the 60s antiwar protests very vividly. In fact I'm old enough to have covered campus apartheid / divestiture protests beginning in the mid-1970s.

This is all pretty tame by comparison.

The problem with Cotton's specific exaggeration is that it leads to tragedies like Kent State.

5. The Big Ragu

I wasn't making it an either / or. I was rolling my eyes at the "send in the storm troopers" bluster, too.

I'm not worried about a Kent State redux because Tom Cotton is tweeting. At least, not as long as Donald Trump isn't in the Oval Office, and then it's about Donald Trump, not Tom Cotton. It was the typical stupidity of trying to pin the headline of the day on the politicians from the other "side." He got Eric Adams, Kathy Hochul and Joe Biden into one tweet and he tied them to "pogroms" at an Ivy League school in New York City.

That shit aint our values! . ... but that's what you get from THOSE politicians.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In the spring of 1977, I got kicked in the left shin by an apartheid protester at a small boycott / divestiture rally on campus.

In September of 1977, dateline Hibbing, Minnesota, I was kicked in the same shin in exactly the same spot by a striking mine worker.

Small Town Guy likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hibbing, Minnesota. Birthplace of Vince Bugliosi.

justgladtobehere and UPChip like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Antifa got you!

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Hometown of Bob Dylan

I Should Coco and UPChip like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

In 1978, did you learn to identify and avoid places where you might get kicked in the shin?

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sadly, I wasn't smart enough for that. The shin-kicking continued through the presidential campaign of 1980, at which point I learned it was better to be on camera than to carry one.

Only my family has had shin-kicking privileges since.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know where to go if you want an ass-kicking.

Best towns for an A*& whipping

Draft saved Draft deleted