1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every bumpkin in Oklahoma doesn’t get hours and hours of live coverage on the 24/7s.

And maybe this is my flyoverness showing, but I don’t think it is the biggest story in the USA.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's getting the most airtime because we're dealing with shithead college kids who suffer from affluenza and whose concept of the real world is severely flawed. It fits into every neat liberal stereotype that's out there.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

WTF? When did Hibbing become one of the nation's biggest cities? Everyone has a connection there. :eek:

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Just when you think the takes can't get hotter... These fucking idiots aren't calling for the destruction of Israel because Daddy bought them a Porsche for their 16th birthday. They are being taught to hate Jews and tacitly support terrorists by their professors, "activists" and "progressive" politicians.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That story's getting plenty of coverage, too.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which one? The Trump trial? That’s not a hot topic here in the sticks either.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you for giving voice to the Trumpist screech machine. Now please let the rational human being continue the discussion.

Some of the protests come from a place of hating Jewish people, but if you don't think a big percentage of the protestors are spoiled college kids who simply have no clue about the history and reality of the situation, you are even more ignorant than I ever imagined.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

hahaha. A few years ago, my tickets for Ducks hockey games in Anaheim were behind this other couple. One night before the game started, the guy was on his phone and I looked over his shoulder. He was on a website that had Hibbing news. I told him I apologize for looking over his shoulder, but I noticed he was on a Hibbing website -- my wife's brother lives there. He said he is from there but has been in California for a long time. He still has family there and goes back occasionally. My brother-in-law's wife worked for Northwest Airlines before it merged with Delta. They were in L.A., but NW was going to close its L.A. reservation office. She was given the choice of where to transfer -- Seattle, Miami, Minnesota -- or face a layoff. She decided on Minnesota because she thought it was the least-popular choice and didn't want to face a layoff again. They didn't realize it wasn't in Minneapolis/St. Paul, but in Chisholm, which is the next town over from Hibbing. They live an hour from Canada.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Liut likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? I love The Button.

Driftwood and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Don't discount regular old college age blind idealism. Israel went into the Palestinian areas with shelling and 500 lb bombs. From before day one, there was no way in hell that they could run the campaign they proposed without causing a shitload of civilian casualties. I fully understand the barbarity of the Hamas attack, but the Palestinian to Israeli casualty rate is now what, 30 to 1 or more? I have supported Israel's wars since 1967, but this campaign has been ham fisted as hell, and frankly, I don't think that there is any doubt that the IDF has committed war crimes. Sure, so did Hamas, but they're a terrorist group, not a national government or a professional army. I don't hate Jews, but at this point my distaste for Bibi is enormous, and some of the right wingers surrounding him are as bad or worse.

Don't get me wrong. I'm fine with finding and killing Hamas. I don't like it, but I can live with a Hellfire missile smashing a car with a couple of innocents in it, or a legit attempt at a surgical strike that causes collateral damage as long as it kills a high value target. Sometimes good eggs get broken with the bad. When it gets to the level of bombing entire neighborhoods flat on the principle that they're in there somewhere, though, that's when words like "war crime" begin apply. You can't just blow up all the egg trucks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    WriteThinking, Liut and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

How many Palestinians would have to die before you might say, “alright Israel, that’s a bit much”?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Might be worth remembering that a 20-year-old American - with or without college - is going to have a much different view of Israel than a 40-year-old or a 60-year-old American.

And I suspect most of the kids on the quad at the University of Minnesota didn't drive a Porsche to get there.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted