1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

On March 18, 1972, Larry Miller of the Carolina Cougars scored 67 points in a game against the Memphis Pros.
    Woody Paige was on the scene as a young beat writer for the Memphis Commercial-Appeal:
    “Johnny Neumann was guarding Miller for a lot of the game and he came by press row. I said something to him—I don’t remember what—and he said, ‘The guy is really hot.’ That’s what I always remember and I quoted him saying that in my article. Of course, Neumann was about the worst defensive player in basketball.”

MisterCreosote likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mickey Mantle has the highest OPS (.977) of any switch-hitter in MLB history. Who has the second-highest?

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

My Ben Maller answer is Mickey Tettleton.

Chipper? Especially if not adjusted.

4. micropolitan guy

No to Tettleton (.818) and no to Chipper (.930), who I believe is third.

No. 2 had a .943 OPS in a 15-year career with four teams.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Eddie Murray?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A timely question: Yesterday (April 25) was former major league pitcher Art Schallock’s 100th birthday.

When Art was called up to the majors for his debut, a future Baseball Hall of Famer was sent down to the minors to make room for him on the roster. When Art went on the road, his first roommate was another future Baseball Hall of Famer. Name the two future HOFers.

7. micropolitan guy

Not Murray (.836).

It's Lance Berkman, who compiled a .943 OPS while flying well under the radar, making only six all-star teams despite not having an OPS below .896 for the first 10 years of his career.

8. micropolitan guy

Looking at the timeline of his career, I'd say Mickey Mantle was sent back to KC and he roomed with Whitey Ford.

9. Baron Scicluna

Mickey is correct. Whitey is incorrect.

10. micropolitan guy

That's right, Ford was in the Army in 51 and 52. Spitballing here, how about Allie Reynolds?

11. Baron Scicluna

Nope, Allie isn’t in the Baseball HOF.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted