1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not sure if that was the right call at the end of the Orioles-Angels game, but I’m not gonna complain about it

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If the Marlins lose this, it'll be in the most Marlins way possible.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't. Garbage call. But it's the Angels, so we move on.

ChrisLong likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Trout 10 homers, 13 RBI

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Kenny Powers coming out of the bullpen for the TV team.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Red Sox going all World Series Game 7 on the Guardians in the top of the fifth here. Triston McKenzie only goes four innings, Cleveland brings in a lefty reliever. He gets only one out in three batters, so in comes a righty reliever good at getting ground balls. Sox pinch-hit w/Yoshida, who barely puts it into play and is out. In comes another pinch-hitter -- who is actually batting under .200 -- and the inning ends on a whiff. Sox then change positions of two pitchers and put their main catcher at first base for the second time in his career.

Guardians respond by using yet another reliever to get through the sixth.

Would be a fabulous looking scorebook if it goes to extra innings.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yesterday, the Mets went a similar route. Sean Manaea—former Giants long man who routinely came in after the ever used openers last year—went 4.2 innings and had 101 pitches thrown. He was leading 6-0. He was taken out with one hitter shy of qualifying for a win.

I get the arguments about managing loads and not letting a guy go much beyond 100 and having 100 before finishing 5 innings means you labored. But man, you couldn't let him see one last batter? He had two on with one out and got a strikeout. You're up 6, why not let him see one more. At worst, you're up 6-3 and you pull him. The futility of the Giants hitting, I don't know why you wouldn't take that chance.

Oh well. It's why I'm not a manager ... well among many reasons...

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Did not have “Guardians and Braves battling for baseball’s best record during this weekend’s series” ever this year.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just finished it. Outstanding, could not put it down. Luckily I have yet to read the chapter notes, and the little tidbits that often accompany them.

The depiction of the Geneva Reds and the NY-P League of Pete's era was outstanding. It's impossible for me to believe that Wellsville, N.Y., about 30 miles from where I was born and where my ancestors grew up, had minor-league baseball for a number of years. But that was the NY-P League.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Trout 10 homers, Angels 10 wins. He may have to hit 63 to keep Anaheim of Los Angeles from losing 100 games.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Orioles just sent Jackson Holliday back to Norfolk.

Draft saved Draft deleted