1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

So one of the things I've been contemplating as all these criminal charges against a lot of the same people start to stack up in different jurisdictions: Prior convictions are a major factor in sentencing in every jurisdiction. And that can be a factor for prosecutors in agreeing to a plea bargain - getting a conviction now is useful for the next time. It's often called "building the record," at least around here.

So a felony plea with a handslap probationary sentence in Georgia, escalates the punishment for a new felony charge in Michigan or Arizona or in federal court.

It's not really a direct response to your post. Just something I have been thinking a lot about as the NY case is off to a much better start than I was anticipating. And your post made me think of it again.

Ellis won't be a "first offender" in Arizona so that likely means a probationary sentence there will come with a lot more requirements than her Georgia probation should have. It can mean things like supervised vs unsupervised probation, more frequent check-ins, more frequent drug & alcohol tests, restricted travel, etc.

Twirling Time and Driftwood like this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They check the recorded video from the camera feeds, then they laugh at you.

Slacker likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You hire someone to pick up your bags while you're on camera frantically "looking."

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's now a criminal conspiracy to defraud the airline.

Good luck.

Mr. Sluggo and Slacker like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Teachers have to go into their own pockets to buy supplies for the classroom, but I suspect some districts will waste money on hiring some local preachers after this.

2muchcoffeeman, garrow and Driftwood like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Hmm. I wonder if there are ways for them to check if 300 people really did lose their bags, like say, I don’t know, cameras?

Actually what this forces airlines to do is what the mail services also do: scan everything coming and going to keep track where it is. If there is a dispute, there’s a record.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

9. Neutral Corner

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If Trump's team can discredit him, I want to write the headline.

Trump Beats Pecker on Witness Stand

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's become one of those things you can say in polite company with no ramifications, like Snodgrass's Muff and Merkle's Boner.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If she testifies and agrees with the publisher, we can write Stormy Daniels Likes Pecker.

Draft saved Draft deleted