1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Continuous Journey: 2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

My post-it note this morning says, "McCarthy, no matter what."

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

At least we can move on from the mock drafts and get to the important stuff — making fun of the outfits and the families.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Haha, that is a pretty great reminder. All these NFL brains falling all over themselves to get bum after bum QB in the top ten of the first round of the draft. And not too many years ago, the Ravens drafted Hayden Fucking Hurst before choosing Lamar Jackson.

Nobody knows shit about how to draft an NFL qb.

Oz and BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Back in my day, before he decided trying to teach the media something about football was a waste of time, Belichick did display flashes of wit in public. His sense of humor is very very dry, so I wonder if it'll fit into the broader "let's have fun" ethos of the Manningcast.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Brady wasn't inherently cooked but he was cooked in New England (and likely with 30 other teams).

He had more in the tank but was at the point that he needed a cast who could lift him up rather than the way it had been for years in NE. From '16-'19 his Y/A was steadily declining (9.3, 8.4, 7.8, 6.8) and in '18 and '19 it was clear that big plays were more reliant than ever on leaning on Gronk as a cheat code or the defense blowing a coverage. That last season in NE saw a lot of "fuck this..." from The Ultimate Competitor. BB put middling ingredients in the Chopped basket and Brady's knives were getting dull.

Going to a super-talented team in a shit division with an offensively-minded coach and a self-generated chip on his shoulder stopped the decline (and goddamn if he didn't make the most of it). Another season in NE would have been uglier than his last season in Tampa.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gerry Dulac wrote that the Steelers had no interest in bringing in a quarterback from outside who would be a potential starter, then they signed Russell Wilson and traded for Fields. Two years ago, he wrote that they would only consider one quarterback in the first round of the 2022 draft and it was Malik Willis. He has been wrong about a lot the last few years and he never seems to own it.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What'd Winston have in '19 with Tampa, like 35 interceptions. Have to believe Brady saw that and said, "old or not, I can do better than that."

Neutral Corner and sgreenwell like this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think he could make for a fun, grumpy old man kind of counter balance. It's also easy to imagine Peyton and Belichick getting into some real nerdy shit with their breakdowns of plays.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He had 30 interceptions AND 12 fumbles, nine of them lost. 39 turnovers and they still won 7 games.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Watching the 2019 draft the other day (yeah, yeah), and Dwayne Haskins was compared to Dan Marino.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The only way the Bears draft defense at No. 9 is if the three WRs are off the board (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze). If one of them is available at 9, the Bears are taking him. I hate mock draft season. I'd love to see one person who is consistently in the ballpark on them. Certainly ain't Dane Brugler or Mel Kiper Jr. And Pete Prisco's mock might have been the worst I've seen since Chris Simms' earlier in the week. Just awful, galaxy-brained shit.

Let me add, RGIII continues to be an idiot for suggesting Caleb Williams should pull an Elway and refuse to play for the Bears. Does he not realize how much more talent the Bears have on offense than the Commies? Not to mention a top-1o defense, which Washington most assuredly does not have.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted