1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Read a report in the Seattle Times today in which Forslund seemed pretty adamant he was staying put.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, and they’re pulling Kraken games off ROOT Sports (the regional sports network on cable TV) and will show most of the games on local stations. I believe they will be streamed on Amazon Prime for those of us outside the Seattle media market.

Liut likes this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Prime is picking up a package of Monday night national games in Canada, buying them from Rogers.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I plead to you, good people of SJ.com. Love something as much as the Capitals love giving up shorthanded goals. You’ll be in a happy place.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Haven’t read this or anything else.

But I’m fairly certain of this: If ownership and Ron Francis still have good relationships with John Forslund, he’s not going anywhere.

Remember who reached out when Forslund was being treated poorly by Tom Dundon (Hint: Same person was also treated poorly by Dundon.)

7. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

The streaming will be in the Kraken’s region, so not nationwide. The on-air telecasts will be in Seattle, Portland and Spokane. In Seattle, they will be on KONG-TV, with 15 simulcast on KING-TV, which will also carry preseason games, pre-empting NBC programs.

For Canadians with satellite TV, the two deals mean a net loss of about 11 games. The loss of 26 Monday night games on Sportsnet (to streaming), but the addition of 15 games on KING, which, like other Seattle network affiliates, is carried nationally in Canada.

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hockey is dumb.

Nashville dominated the Canucks and lost.

There could be a 100o word Ragu review, but just luck the Canucks won.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be the Preds if they didn’t melt down against a backup goalie in the playoffs. Needed more chances sooner. Sounded like DeSmith was giving up chances.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Stumbled upon an article not long ago and thought of you, although IIRC you are a grad of the University of Iowa.
    In 1975, the Minnesota North Stars and Kansas City Scouts played a preseason game at the new Hilton Coliseum in Ames. Not long afterward, the U.S. National Team played a game there in the lead-up to the 1976 Olympics.
    The piece went on to suggest Iowa State's hockey program was headed to eventual D-I status. At some point, though, a flood ruined Hilton's ice plant and it was deemed cost-prohibitive to replace it.
    Thus, Cyclones hockey stayed at club status.
    Thought you might be interested in this very obscure history.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Well, I predicted that Anthony Rendon would be hurt just after the start of the season. That was a no-brainer, just like last year's NHL draft lottery. Anyone with half a brain knew Chicago would win. There were lots of people who predicted that.

For this year, I don't have any prediction.

Bettman is dumb, but he is not stupid. If Chicago wins again, that would be too obvious, even for him. And even though there are good players at the top of the draft, none of them are Bedard.

But there could be a reverse psychology. Bettman believes that it would be too obvious if he arranged for Chicago to win again. Nobody thinks he will do it. So he can do it anyway.

I'm fairly certain Anaheim won't win and go from 3 to 1. But then again, the reverse psychology -- "I screwed the Ducks last year, so I'll boost them this time to show everybody I'm not against them." Or he could just play it neutral and give it to San Jose.

For those not keeping track, Bettman has been involved with three draft lotteries in which bottom-level, big-market teams rose to the No. 1 spot when there was a supposed franchise difference-maker in the draft. Knicks-Ewing when Bettman worked for the NBA, Rangers-Lafreniere, Blackhawks-Bedard.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

L
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Alex Jones has joined the discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted