1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Stauber can fuck right off and keep fucking right off between now and Journey getting on my playlist.

Voted against the Ukraine bill. Don’t stop believing this, asshole.

The Range has been in a slow change since the 50s. Not for the better.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Iron Range Mafia in full effect. I'm here for it.

Machine Head likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm not a Ranger. I just happen to work adjacent to there. I drove up on a nice summer Sunday a couple years ago to look around. It reminded me of home in some ways. They have pasties and Duluth mostly doesn't. US Hockey Hall of Fame is a fun afternoon.

I grew up in the "other" iron ore territory, in the central U.P. My uncle was an executive for Cleveland Cliffs, I've taken the mine tour, and I know how iron ore pellets are made. But the Central U.P., when I lived there, had two iron ore mines (Empire and Tilden). A third closed before I was aware of it in the 80s, and one of the previous two was idled for years. Mining has always been a thing in the U.P., but it never generated enough jobs to be THE thing, especially when Marquette was a 30-minute drive away.

Duluth, or any other significant city, is a solid hour from the Range, and there are six operating mines on the Range right now, which ship ore out of four different locations (Duluth and Superior being two of them).

The current war is actually over copper/nickel mining, which requires a chemical process that, if done wrong, can release sulfuric acid into the groundwater. A lot of people have a problem with that because one of the two proposed mines is basically across the street from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. This debate was had out 15 years ago in the northern U.P., which has similar (much smaller) deposits. They're mining them. No problems yet, but it also hasn't exactly revolutionized the U.P. economy.

However, the Rangers view this as what's going to bring the Range back to glory or at least keep them relevant and that the government is catering to Citiots and their canoe trips. (To be fair, the chief congressional voice against it right now is Betty McCollum, who represents, yup, St. Paul).

I Should Coco and Hermes like this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

All of the yentas on my Facebook feed seem thrilled with breaking up the protests at UT because they don’t like what they the protestors are saying.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'd begin any interview with these protesters with two questions:
    Can you show me Palestine on a map?
    Are you a registered voter?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd bet yes would dominate the first question. Dunno about the second.
    BTW, unlike the BLM protests, these events seem completely limited to college campuses. This strongly indicates to me that in political terms, they will soon suffer failure to thrive.

Hermes likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In winter 1977, I had a bad streak of rolling shins and losing all my gelt by the 2’s.

upload_2024-4-25_12-22-54.jpeg

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know the name, but I know a guy named Robert Zimmerman grew up there. Haven't heard from him in a while.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Did a western a few years back. Played a guy named Alias.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Right-wing/extreme AfD is the most popular party in Germany among those aged 14-29. All left-wing parties in decline I'm sure this is fine.

nqxxchud5mwc1.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted