1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

USC seniors (and probably other schools to come): Sure, my high school commencement got canceled but obviously my college one will take place, right? Right?

And speaking of 2020 throwbacks, the overwhelming number of masks at the protests...certainly a lot are to hide identity, which I get, but I've seen enough posts on Twitter from folks ranting about COVID--plus a UCLA group requiring testing to camp--to realize some people are simply never moving on.

Batman likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I assumed the masks were in anticipation of tear gas.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

There was also some discussion in the George Floyd demonstrations that CCTV and other surveillance methods were in place and could potentially lead to professional or personal retribution of an extra-judicial nature.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. dixiehack

We’re running back all the other American horrors, so why not a little McCarthyism sprinkled on top.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think a lot of college protests are like a lot of SEC football games - if you needed to be a student or alum to attend, they would be lot smaller and a lot quieter.

outofplace and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m old enough to remember when Seton Hall was a northeast college baseball power. And now they’re getting squashed by Ivy League nerds.

The terrorists have won.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just like here in America, the "Weiß Nicht Partei" wins with Gen Z in Germany. Just like here, they will probably vote in thin numbers. And just like here, the rest of it is probably a typical reaction against the olds.

9. dixiehack

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-message-from-the-chancellor-on-the-recent-student-protest

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

“We respect all protests except the ones we don’t like.”

I learned as a copy editor not to challenge a story unless you can propose a solution. I’m violating my own premise here. I have no clue.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The photog in Austin was charged with trespassing?

12. dixiehack

Satire piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted