1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mic drop: The 2024 RIP thread for musicians

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 16, 2024.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"Go Now" is a great song. Sure wish the recording engineer had paid attention to the modulation on the damn thing, but that's a minor quibble. And how do you go from that to Days of Future Passed in three short years?

RIP to the last of the original Moodies.

ChrisLong, Neutral Corner and garrow like this.
  3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

A bit obscure but Alex Hassilev, longtime member of The Limeliters trio, was a very talented dude and was part of the 3some that produced the classic “Tonight” Limeliters album that is a cult fave among guys my age, 70, because their Dads owned it and played the hell out of it. With good reason.
    Hassilev was a banjo/guitar player, a brilliant musician and arranger and producer who could speak and sing in, like, 10 languages. Along with Lou Gorrlieb on upright bass, and Glenn Yarborough’s light touch on the guitar along with his famed baritone, Hassilev was in the right place at the right time with the Tonight album that mixed comedy with some damn fine songs, a few of which were written by John Stewart ex of New Christie Minstrels, I believe. Like I said, great great songs and worth a listen. The album is from 1962 and recorded at the famous hungry i in San Francisco. It captured a time in pop culture history just perfectly.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024 at 4:29 PM
    maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

I played the living daylights out of Dad's "Kingston Trio Live From the Hungry i" as a kid. I should have puttered around North Beach more as a young adult, but it was a pretty seedy place by the late 1970s and early 1980s.

misterbc likes this.
  5. maumann

RIP, Richard Tandy. Keyboardist for Electric Light Orchestra. It's his voice on the vocoder saying "Please turn me over" at the end of the Concerto For A Rainy Day/Mr. Blue Sky.

Here he is playing "Telephone Line" with Jeff Lynne. He added so much to the ELO sound.

Huggy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted