1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Continuous Journey: 2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cousins is 35 - maybe two good years left?

I do think it is comparable to the Rodgers/Love deal. Rodgers was 35-36 when they drafted Love - Im sure the thinking was, we'll never suck enough to get a better qb in the next two or three years.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If Cousins is gone in three years, Penix gets his first chance to start as a 27-year-old.

They had Odunze right there. If there is an issue with Cousins, the next guy would have a potential franchise wideout. They had Fashanu or Fuaga right there. They had whomever they thought was the best defensive player, right there. Hell Bowers would have made some semblance of sense.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I've wondered this and the Penix situation brings another point:

Why isn't the draft before free agency?

Shouldn't you be able to see if you get a guy in the draft for certain positions before going, oh we need to sign a QB, doing that and then a guy you want falls in your lap?

It seems so backwards to do it this way

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cousins was a guest in the booth at a recent Braves game and he was gushing about how his relationship with the team was off to a great start. He specifically said that it was refreshing how everyone was in alignment from owner to management to coach to quarterback and how important that was.
    Methinks he doesn’t feel that way anymore.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was all in on trading up to get Alt……maybe the Nabors kid from LSU.
    I can’t believe Blank signed off on this if he did.
    This will make or break Fontenot.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Every time this thread bubbles up, for a brief moment I see the title as "A Contentious Journey."

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, that's why they're the Falcons.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Pearsall pick was intriguing. Could be in line for a lot of work in that 49ers offense given that Deebo gets hurt every half-dozen plays. I also wonder if this means they trade Deebo or Aiyuk today.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There were reports that both were on the trading block yesterday.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yep. Probably trying to get a first-rounder. I don't think Aiyuk is considered elite, though, and we know why Deebo wouldn't garner a first-rounder. But a second-rounder seems reasonable. Maybe a team like the Comnanders, who have two picks in the round and a new GM who came from the Niners.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Arthur Blank is the rare NFL owner who may actually be a pretty decent human being. But he still has Jerry Jones Disease when it comes to refusing to stay out of the kitchen.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I always think of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

(By the way, this episode is now 20 years old.)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted