1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think students are missing much when the main stage commencement is canceled. When my son graduated from the University of Virginia there was a main stage commencement that was a bunch of speakers. Then the individual departments had separate ceremonies where the students went up and shook the hands of the department chair and received their diploma. The department ceremony also made ii easier for the students to interact with their friends. None of the speeches I heard at the larger ceremonies was worth sitting through largely because they were basically self congratulatory.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Or, just like in the George Floyd protests right-wing hate groups infiltrated the protests and are antagonizing authorities. Just a thought.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Oops. I feel like Devil93.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Port construction is going well.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I make my own distinction between protests and demonstrations. Others may not see it the same way, but people protesting something, as I see it, do it in the place where the thing they are protesting is taking place or in a place that confronts the people who can fix whatever the wrong they are protesting is. The protests are usually (but not always) being led by the actual people who think thay are are the ones being done wrong. For example, four kids in Greensboro, NC in 1960 go to have a meal @ a Woolworth lunch counter and they are refused service because they are black, and they decide enough is enough on segregation. In the following days, they return with dozens of more students and stage sit ins.

That's a protest, to me.

What's happening on these college campuses are demonstrations (again, the way I make my distinction). Pitching a tent at Columbia University ostensibly because of what is happening in Gaza, is not a protest, it's a demonstration. It is largely (or entirely) being led by people who have nothing personally to do with Gaza.

For me, that isn't the same thing as my "protest" example above.

In my experience, when I see someone protesting something, I may or may not think they have a legitimate beef, but I know there is going to be some kind of there there.

When I see kids demonstrating on a college campus, I have learned that it's almost inevitable that the inane slogans they are yelling are flat out wrong. And when they aren't flat-out wrong, they usually have taken something with a degree of nuance and they are are being dishonest (and/or) clueless about it.

FWIW, why anyone would get triggered over those kids is beyond me. Let them waste their time that way, and go live your life.

I laughed at Mike Johnson doing the "I'm call on the president to bring in the National Guard" demagogery. What good reason did he have to even be on Columbia University's campus? There is no difference between his stupid act and the act of the kids pitching tents and shouting at him.

Inky_Wretch, Alma and Driftwood like this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Some community members are pushing for local leaders of - Wilmington, NC - to pass an Israel-Hamas ceasefire resolution.
    I'm sure there are a bunch of Israelis and Palestines clamoring to the bargaining table right now because they certainly don't want to draw the wrath of a city that once overthrew a duly elected government and sparked a bunch of race killings.

justgladtobehere and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I wonder the same every time I read about a government meeting that has this on the agenda. Do they really think either side is going to back down because of the actions of the Podunk City Council?

Driftwood likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

https://theconversation.com/college...-tried-and-true-trap-laid-by-the-right-228732

Tangentially, I’ve rather enjoyed what I’ve read on The Comversation lately.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think you're on to a bit of something here, and that's the kids are trying to think that the opinions of the president of Columbia University matter to the world at large.

There was also a Gaza resolution that came before our city council here, and it failed on the grounds of "not our job to comment on world affairs," a point carefully cultivated by the new mayor, who unseated a two-term incumbent partially because that incumbent was a woman who irritated sexists and businessmen and partially because that incumbent spent a lot of time fighting perception battles (for example, trying to phase out the word 'chief' from job titles out of a belief that it constituted an Indigenous slur) instead of getting roads plowed in the winter.

Anyway, I think part of what these students, or these people pushing hyper-local Gaza resolutions, believe is that making a public stance on this issue constitutes something of a moral fitness test.

And though I would suggest that being publicly opposed to the killing of thousands of innocent Gazans is a fairly low bar of moral backbone, even if it is in pursuit of dozens of un-innocent Hamas operatives, it is very hard to make that condemnation with sufficient fervor to appease both the people supporting the Palestinians without condemning the ethnic group doing most of the work, which views that work as self-defense and security against a clear and present existential threat. And that's just fine for a bunch of bad-faith right-wingers, who just want to de-motivate groups (young people and Jews) who normally turn out for Democrats in elections, and can delegitimize academics who hate them and who they hate in the process.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The students are protesting in general but also pushing to have university investment funds divest from companies tied closely to Israel. And Ivy League endowment funds have a decent bit of dick to swing around.

Draft saved Draft deleted