1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the CMA's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

So drunken, reckless endangerment that could could have killed multiple people isn't even worth 10 days behind bars? That's nuts. Town drunks get that much.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I guarantee you if Sarah McLachlan had flung a seat in Nashville, 10-20 completely.

Less if she'd flung a dog.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Let those who haven’t slung a dog off a balcony cast the first chair.

Or something like that.

sgreenwell and Driftwood like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Her name is WHAT?!?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She's like cold beer on a Friday night...

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Also, the ACMs are on Prime Video if you're into bad music.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Although I think Wallen needs to spend a few nights behind bars instead of opening one, I think the council opened themselves up for problems by admitting the reason they denied the request is they didn't want to see Wallen's name on it.
    Would you approve the same sign if it simply removed the words Morgan Wallen? It seems the easement request was because it would stick out over the sidewalk, not the lettering on the sign. There is a sign hanging out over the sidewalk around the corner on Broadway that says Lucky Bastard. That's OK, but a someone's name isn't just because you personally don't like the guy?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There’s also the small matter of him tossing furniture from downtown roofs. And they didn’t deny him a business license, just a sign variance.

10. Driftwood

I'm not denying he's a douche, and the point that he got the business license is, to me, another strike against the council. They flat out said they were denying the variance because they didn't want to see his name on it.
    If two signs designed exactly the same - the only difference being one says Morgan Wallen's Bar and the other says Bill Smith's Bar - get different treatment, that seems legally a problem.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jason Kelce puts country music on blast.

On Jason Kelce’s Rant About Country Music - Saving Country Music

I do wonder if its a generational thing. But there is another element. Allow me to digress for a moment. I've been driving my niece's car - A BMW 325 if you want to know :) - while my Ford is in the shop and figuring out the radio was a pain. All I could get was FM stations, but cycling through the band to find a listenable station was tough. But I heard plenty of the "modern country music" Kelce speaks of.
    I was going to post a joke about a "Country music thesaurus" for songwriters that is only one page. haha. But then I thought - wait! We've talked often about the use of "trucks, beer, radio, boots, jeans, dirt roads etc." as tropes in country music songwriting, but what I realized is that the CM songwriters NEVER use alternative words for those things. A truck is always a "truck" - not a rig, not a whip, F150 or Silverado - its always a "truck." Boots aren't "kicks" or anything. jeans aren't "denim" or 501s, radio isn't a "blaster." I find it curious. Or maybe country audiences are just dumb for the most part.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Without clicking the link, I'm guessing Trigger from Saving Country Music got on his high horse and took Kelce to task for not knowing about country singers who get zero radio airplay.

Draft saved Draft deleted