1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Can whomever "wins" Dom agree to send him down to NXT or something? He has a bad case of go-home heat, and it ain't gonna get better.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This statement is incredibly true, and that isn't a good thing for AEW. The fact that no one managed to step up and carry things in the six months he was gone is an indictment of the way they're running things. Either they have the talent and don't know how to use it, or they just don't have the talent and think they do. Either way, it's not a good thing for the company that they depend on MJF as much as they do.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hangman vs. Swerve feud. Samoa Joe's title run. Christian vs. Copeland. Ospreay and Danielson had a Match of the Decade candidate. Okada's debut.

AEW lost MJF, Adam Cole and Kenny Omega in very short order. But they put on some compelling TV in the meantime.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Are we really trusting Adam Cole with another main-event push?

5. Inky_Wretch

Probably not. Too injury prone. Cole vs. MJF will be an upper midcard match.

6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

He was just in NXT about 4-5 months ago. I don't think it's go-home heat. He's just playing an effective heel. Fans just like to boo him.

He's not Rey, but for someone who never did the indies and whose first career match was at SummerSlam, I think he's doing just fine.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

My point stands. Hangman and Swerve had great matches but nothing that really elevated either to be able to lead the company long-term. There was nothing at all memorable about Joe's title run. If anything, it validated WWE never giving him a big belt again (and I say that as someone who loves Samoa Joe and things WWE did him wrong). Christian-Copeland was good but Edge holding a bullshit third-tier title is a joke, esp. when there are seemingly a dozen world title on AEW at any given time, and their feud didn't do anything to elevate other stars to be able to carry the company because we all know Edge and Christian are on limited runs. Ospreay and Danielson had a great match, but is Ospreay been elevated to the general wrestling audience to the point he can carry the company? Not even close. Which is a shame because he should be. Dude is 31 and could be a top player for years, but he's being used as midcarder.

They don't know how to use the talent they have. They're too focused on having cool matches and not enough on building stars.

Batman and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Looks like Edge is out for who knows how long.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Well, time for another AEW tournament to crown a new TNT champ.

Adam/Edge is a blast, but I don't know what happened with that cage dive Sunday. Was he supposed to do a splash or full elbow drop? Doing almost a full feet-first landing is ridiculously dangerous for a man in his prime, let alone a guy in his 50s already with a laundry list of prior injuries.

Black deserved the chance to carry the belt, unless he's on borrowed time in AEW. Seen a lot of rumors he's interested in coming back to a Triple H-led WWE, since Black's NXT heyday was under H's watch. Plus, Black already has the missus over there.

10. Inky_Wretch

Ospreay hasn't been there a full year yet. As much as I'd like him to get a rocket ship ride to the world title ASAP, I can respect that he's moving through the roster in a natural way.

And what if having cool matches is all that's needed for a company to be successful in the social media era? I like the territory feel AEW gives by bringing in NJPW, CMLL and other talents. Those are cool matches that don't need months of buildup.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Looking at the number of seats they're filling in arenas, it looks like they need more than cool matches to be successful in the social media era.

12. Inky_Wretch

The promotion is five years old. It's not going to sell out arenas every Wednesday and Saturday this quickly. Give it time to grow and mature. Give it time to build a bigger fanbase aside from the indie fanboy loosers like me.

Draft saved Draft deleted