1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, he’s fine as a primer for MJF to get back on top, but any more than that is asking for trouble.

It’s a shame, too. He’s got all the talent in the world.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Assuming they're building to Ospreay winning the title at Wembley, I think they've done OK with him so far. They've introduced him to a new audience, given him some showcase matches to show what he can do, and now he's got one of the dozen upper midcard titles to show he's progressing.
    They couldn't just insert him into the AEW championship picture because they've also been pushing Swerve — who has definitely gotten over and earned his shot with it — at the same time. You can't push Ospreay at the expense of Swerve, at least not yet.
    They don't need to waste too much time pushing Ospreay to the top, obviously, but I also think they're on track for it.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It just feels like they were selling more tickets two years ago than they are now instead of growing year to year. I want them to succeed -- I love a lot of the wrestlers there and think we definitely need another successful company, even if it doesn't reach WWE levels. But it feels like they're lacking something at the top. Part of that, though, could be having guys like Moxley feuding for belts that aren't even AEW titles. New Japan is a big deal, probably bigger than AEW, but it doesn't make your company look strong when one of your top guys would rather be New Japan champion than AEW champion.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt exactly say aew was on fire when MJF was on top either…..

I wish he could go ten minutes without mentioning the other show. Esp now that the bidding war of 2024 never happened. Like enough. And leave the HHH cosplay in a trash can in Vegas while hes at it

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Swerve has gotten over to a degree, but if you were talking people who could carry a company, not many people would put him in that category. He feels like a placeholder champion, someone who got elevated because other guys got hurt and is going to get pushed back down to the midcard now that they're back. That could be because we all know Ospreay is getting the title in London and MJF was out with an injury, but it just feels like with the time MJF was out, they could've built up someone who could be close to his level, and they didn't. Maybe he'll help elevate someone now that he's back, but it's gonna be tough. And it's entirely possible Ospreay is that guy and they delayed it to get that big pop they'll get at Wembley.

It just feels like in a lot of ways, their talent has regressed. Omega's hurt and was talking about being on the far end of the downside of his career before that. The Young Bucks and Elite aren't where they were. Same with FTR. It feels like Malachi Black is in a holding pattern because everyone expects him to jump back to WWE. Maybe it's just a lull and things will pick up now that MJF is back and they're going to be building toward Ospreay getting his title shot finally.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This is probably fair. May have just felt that way because MJF was always social media gold.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

he’s the best promo on the show. By miles.

his run got mired by CM Punk drama and Cole getting hurt.

But now he’s gotta evolve a little, I think. Its set up beautifully for him if he can do it

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I was thinking Sunday night that as good as his promo was, he can't just let his mic work turn into MJF screaming into a mic every time. Absolutely agree he needs to evolve some.

JimmyHoward33 and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems like a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.
    If they take advantage of Swerve getting over and give him a run to see if he can take it to the next level, but he flops, then he's just a placeholder.
    If they don't give him the shot when he's hot, then they're accused of burying him.
    Brass rings, and all that. At some point you have to give somebody a chance to sink or swim. I guess you could argue that they're throwing Swerve cinderblocks instead of life preservers, but some of it is on him to push through to that next level, right?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

DAAAAMN! Roxanne Perez vs. Jordynne Grace for the NXT women's championship in Vegas!

NXT is cooking!

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Lord almighty, NXT is throwing out some STUNNERS tonight.

Amazing job by WWE to pull off two shock appearances out of absolute nowhere tonight.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No more spots on Evil Uno’s Mystery Wrestling for Ethan Page, I guess.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted