1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

NASCAR was keeping up with the whole thing on its website. Of course it realizes how big of a coup this was.

NASCAR's absolutely giving him the waiver. Not doing so would lessen the show, and NASCAR (tracks and sanctioning body) is all about being The Show.

SixToe and maumann like this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Who'd have ever imagined Tony Stewart drag racing full-time and shutting down his Nascar team?

How easily (or not) can a four-car team be replaced?

franticscribe, wicked and maumann like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tony Stewart and Gene Haas, who never attend NASCAR races, announced they're going to shut down their NASCAR operation. One wants to go drag racing in place of his wife, who is pregnant, and the other wants to spend all his time with his failing F1 team.

If I'm Junior, I'm buying two charters and screaming, "LET'S FUCKING GO! LEEROOOOOYYYYYY JENKINS!"

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There was a social media post from IndyCar where it touted 600-something on-track passes, the most since 2017. So yeah, the series has this race just where it wants it, and you don't have to be a lifelong race fan to see that stalking the leader with a lap to go is the best spot in the house.

maumann likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

F1 just posted that there have been 600-something on-track passes since 1997.

Huggy, dixiehack, playthrough and 2 others like this.
  7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I think you mean "overtakes".

Driftwood likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

FTFY

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And where is this money coming from? Junior didn’t wanna buy a charter when it was $2 million per. Now it’s at least 10 times as much.

Maybe some stick and ball type does what Haas did with Stewart — give Junior some equity, call it (let’s say) Tepper Earnhardt Motorsports and let Junior run the racing operation. I do think he has an eye for young talent. See the kids who’ve raced for him.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The smartest thing Dale Jr can do is exactly what he is doing. He's involved in the sport but not sunk in it. NASCAR isn't going back to the glory days when he broke in.

maumann, wicked and SixToe like this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

Finally there's a shirt for us.

Now, if only Junior and Jeff Gluck could bring back hats.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I have to hand it to Dale Jr. He seems to be just involved enough in every facet of racing to be engaged but not tied down, from doing goofy podcast stuff, various investments, to be a regular human.

maumann, playthrough and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted