1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

75 million in the cult are definitely reading that think piece. Where you at, Joe Rossi?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bingo.

That Atlantic piece drove me up a wall because it advances the notion that you can centrally plan prosperity by calibrating immigration.

How about people just stop obsessing over foreigners and migrants so much, and live their own lives? The reality is pretty much what you said. The people who are coming here are low-skilled workers, in what has been a very tight labor market when it comes to low-end services / labor jobs. Essentially. ... they are coming here looking for opportunity that the tough places they are coming from aren't offering, and they are willing to do jobs that the people here who are relatively spoiled hold their noses up at (and receive government handouts instead). They are not only not hurting anyone, they probably have made it so that runaway prices haven't been as bad as they might have been.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not politics, comedy relief. From the front page of today's WaPo.

Judge stunned as man with suspended license joins Zoom hearing while driving
    “Mr. Harris, are you driving?” asked the bemused judge as Corey Harris asked for time to park his vehicle.

He wound up with his bond revoked and told to turn himself in by six P.M. His lawyer, who was standing in the courtroom, must have been, um, bemused as well.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

“Cool Papa Bell?” I’m the real cool papa. Ivanka tells me that all the time when she’s sitting on my lap, believe me.”

HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Add to that the people coming here have left everything and everyone they know behind and traveled long distances, often enduring great hardship, to get here. They are exactly the type of people that built this country and that we have traditionally embraced, even if they had to endure prejudice.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for Fox to lambast MLB for going "woke" until I remember who has the broadcast rights to MLB.

8. The Big Ragu

Bingo again. What boggles me about the xenophobia and bigotry is that the large majority of us had parents or grandparents or great grandparents who came here for the same exact reasons and under similar circumstances. They were fleeing a place where there was tyranny or economic hardship or tough lives for people, and they came here looking for opportunity. I know this is a bit of a platitude, but it's what traditionally made the U.S. special. It also created a self-fulfilling prophecy where the U.S. thrived because of those "hungry" people looking for a better life and a better life for their children.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The argument I hear from people in my family of this mindset along with other random whites in defense is "we came here legally." Of course, Ellis Island was also wide open at that time and taking anyone able bodied who could do the work so it isn't apples to apples.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, see, their great grandparents came here "the right way" not by sneaking under a barbed wire fence.

garrow and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If only we can make all the “anti-illegals” crowd drive the 101 through the Oxnard plains and see the dozens of immigrants bent over in the hot sun picking strawberries by hand 6 days a week and then tell me how terrible it is they scrambled here 3,000 miles by foot to work the fields.

12. The Big Ragu

Simple solution, then. Get rid of the barbed-wire fence.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted