1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Rule 1: Don't piss off your probation officer, under any circumstance. Don't talk back, don't argue, don't think you're going to have any say in what happens next. Shut up and listen.

Actually, Trump should be damn worried about the probation officer, not the other way around. They have the ability to make sure you do exactly what's required per the court's request, and if you play the game, everything goes smoothly. If you don't, FAFO.

With a conviction, Trump just lost his Fourth Amendment rights, so any officer can now show up, at any time anywhere, without probable cause and do a search of him, his belongings and his premises without needing a warrant. And even better, he or she reports directly to the court and any BS will not tolerated, no matter who you are or what you did before you landed in their custody.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So, and I'm being serious, kind of like a drug tester for an Olympic athlete? Gotta be available at any certain time window? Is he subject to random drug/alcohol tests? Has to get approval to leave the state? I'm guessing this is different state-by-state and haven't been through something like that (knock on wood), but I'm guessing it's not an easy, "Oh, it's just a probation officer" situation. There are rules to be followed. And he's going to rail about it.

maumann likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm certain he will. He better be careful about what he says or he may regret it a great deal.

franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Like, if literally, a 34-felony count on a guy is what makes people say, yes, YES, this is who I want to lead my country! I no longer want to share a country with you. Gotta find a golf job in Europe.

TowelWaver, Tarheel316 and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

Yes, all of the above, especially leaving the state. I had to have a judge approve a trip to New Orleans for a family cruise, had to have the papers signed by a New Orleans police officer and return them to the probation officer by the approved date.

I had a total of three different officers during my four years. I had the initial evaluation in the probation office. Then each made an unscheduled visit during daylight hours to do a followup, then came randomly and less frequently after I completed the community service requirement.

If the probation officer believes there is sufficient reason to search or drug test, you either comply or go to jail/prison. You have zero rights once the conviction is handed down.

Now, I don't know what the procedure is in this instance with a time frame between conviction and sentencing. But I'm certain disobeying the court's decision is a really bad idea.

In a way, I hope Trump believes himself to be above the law and winds up violating his probation.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What’s the difference between sufficient reason and probable cause in a 4th amendment/search warrant situation?

maumann likes this.
  7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No probation officer is going to cross Trump. The job sucks bad enough as it is. There’s one of him and half a dozen Secret Service agents on the other side. By now, they’re making it plain that their loyalty is to the protectee rather than the law.

9. MileHigh

Thanks. And sorry to have to bring in your "expertise" in this/bring back bullshit memories.

Though I wonder how this plays out as not only an ex-president but one who is the presumptive nominee of a major party. We already saw it in the trial with him violating the gag orders and he was kept out of jail when we all know you or I doing the same thing would have been different.

I read a few years ago about people on probation out here on DUI/DWAI convictions would have to call in daily to submit to a drug/alcohol test if their "color" was on a recorded line they had to call in daily and they would have to show up at some place and submit to a test. Again, it's a state-by-state situation but I'd be curious how all of this plays out with him.

maumann likes this.
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Walking Dead in real life …

11. maumann

A probation officer needs no probable cause to ask you to submit to drug testing or enter your dwelling. If they want in, you comply. If they want a sample, you comply.

But they usually only go to that trouble if you were convicted on DUI, possession, trafficking, weapons charges or have previous convictions for similiar offenses. They don't care about 58-year-old white guys who get beat up by old people over a motorhome.

And yeah, New York could have a different set of rules. But the basics are the same in every state: no alcohol or drugs, no weapons, no travel, no protection against search and seizure.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  12. MileHigh

Sorry to be fixated on this. And not trying to dredge up f-up memories. (And tell me here or PM me to knock it off; I will). But did POs come to your place randomly to search? Or seek random tests? Again, I know it's a state-by-state situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted