1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting how you lose some -- but not all -- rights upon felony conviction. The cops can drug-test you at will. (Fourth) The state can read your incoming and outgoing mail from prison. (First, perhaps Ninth). But if you're on trial for a second felony after being convicted of the first, you are still not compelled to testify against yourself and you still have right to counsel, for example. If the state wants to execute you by drawing and quartering, a motion for a stay is likely to be granted and a full hearing is likely to result in the selection of a different execution method.

maumann likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Even there, you'll have to pick your spots. But it won't be as bad as Trump's Amerikkka.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Hardened Criminal @maumann is my favorite @maumann.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yes, it's odd to look out and see a shiny black unmarked police car in the driveway without notice, especially the first few weeks while you're still paranoid about getting put in jail.

Usually they came in the morning but once around dinnertime. None ever asked to come inside the house, but I was prepared if they did. We pretty much chatted on the front porch or by their car. I was never asked for a drug or sobriety test, even at the initial interview. They did ask to see my community service timesheet.

We packed up all the wine bottles in boxes and stored them in the basement, even though Gwen could still drink. Just felt like it was an unnecessary risk to explain.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jesus. Feels like an always looking over your shoulder situation. I'm assuming way better than being on the inside like you were.

maumann likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No matter what happens from here, with the sentencing and the other procedures, this is a very satisfying day. It was a victory for the rule of law, and after being assured repeatedly that the fix was in and that none of this was going to matter, well... it's a good day. Add that this was considered to be the weakest case of the four and the least likely to convict.

A good day indeed.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Surprisingly and thankfully, getting it all written here on posts has made a lot of the specifics -- especially the anxiety -- disappear over time. I still drive by the corrections center on the way to the grocery, but no longer know exactly what's going on in there. That's a blessing because otherwise I have a pretty good memory for trivial things.

Both of my accusers died last year. That also lifted a lot of stress and worry.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't buy it. There are R's who decided against him after 1/6. There are more who have said that they will not vote for a convicted felon for President. His voters skew old, and a percentage of them have died since 2020, when he didn't get enough votes to win.

I believe the American people are smarter than that, even if a lot of the R's are not.

TowelWaver and Driftwood like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Really? Whoever is his parole officer will get one he'll of a book deal.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Can I raise a practical question at this point? Is Nikki Haley going to change her vote?

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Which isn't a great best-case scenario, but we'll take what we can get.

I've been hopeful that four years of a guy just going to work and doing his thing has reminded people that this wasn't a bad thing, even if you didn't like the president. It's nice to have someone just steering the car and knowing he's surrounded by people who can steer it if necessary. I like to think that outside of the cult idiots, people were tired of a complete fucking lunatic behind the wheel, throwing everyone out of the car as he tried to drive it over a cliff.

I'm hopeful now (though I wouldn't wager a red cent on it) that the overwhelmingly guilty verdict and Trump's physical and mental decline will take a lot of the drama out of the election. Trump has come back from the depths before, but now he's pushing 80, he's in terrible physical shape (not that he was ever in great shape, but he could pull it off in his 40s and 50s) and exhibiting serious signs of dementia. The trial and his middling attempts to hit the campaign trail have only emphasized these declines. Imagine how another five-plus months will wear on him. A lot can happen in that time, but Biden is competent and runs a good campaign. Hopefully this swings North Carolina Biden's way and we're all going to bed early on Election Night.

But even if this works out, the Trump-ian danger is still there. If Biden wins this fall (or even if he doesn't), the Democratic primary in 2028 is going to be a shitstorm. If Harris is the candidate, I have no faith the electorate will vote for a Black woman. There's going to be a giant opening for a much younger and much more competent version of Trump to win the Republican nomination and bring to life his MAGA vision. Hopefully we have a few years before we have to worry about that.

TowelWaver and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted