1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

x.com

If Alvin Bragg was literally crucifying anyone, I take it all back, and we should throw Joe Biden in GITMO and put Donald Trump back in office today.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

EDIT: Holy shit (lol), @Woody Long got there first!

Woody Long likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It was early before coffee kicked in. I was less than clear on the point.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Absolute fucking bullshit. Simpering apologia and rationalization. Verbatim regurgitation of all Fatfuck's bullshit arguments.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

This is willful stupidity wrapped in a think-piece.

Michael Cohen.
    Pled Guilty.
    To Campaign Finance Violations.
    Related to.
    The Stormy Daniels.
    NDA.
    And Donald Trump.
    Was an unnamed.
    Co-Conspirator.
    In That.
    Indictment.

Woody Long likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Liberal media!!!!

garrow likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I said it upthread, but I think a probationary sentence is appropriate based on the nature of the charges. These are normally misdemeanors that are elevated to the lowest-level felonies based on some specific facts and they're very duplicative of each other, which the law allows and I'm not criticizing.

With the caveat that I'm not licensed in New York and every state has its own sentencing rules, I think on balance low-level, non-violent felony convictions with a limited prior record (it's not first offense in my view because of the contempt convictions) warrant a probationary sentence. That's largely how it would work here, under our sentencing scheme. In fact, a straight active term (in other words, no probationary element) would be off the table. It'd either be probation or a mix of active time and probation. Given the volume of charges, lack of remorse and public proclamations that undermine the criminal justice system, I could see a judge being pissed and including some active element.

I've also mentioned, though, that I think it's important to remember that almost every sentencing scheme I've seen starts bumping up sentences significantly on subsequent convictions. If he gets convicted in Georgia, these convictions have a major effect. If he gets convicted in federal court, these convictions have a major effect. And if he gets convicted of a subsequent crime in another jurisdiction, that could activate his New York sentence. I say could because I don't have the first clue about New York probation violations. But here, they would result in what we call "dips" or "dunks" or where the probationer has to do a few days in jail - "a dip" - or a few months - "a dunk." On the third probation violation the full sentence gets activated.

If Merchan wants to fuck him, while still maintaining a veneer of impartiality, he'll give him max sentences, suspended, maybe even have one or two run consecutive. Then let the chips fall and Trump has a long time to behave or get fucked.

As for appeal, Trump has a number of issues to raise. The first is the novelty of the prosecutions theory for the felony escalation - i.e. the coverup of the other crime that they don't actually have to prove itself. There are also some parts of the jury instructions that raise novel questions. I always worried about the novel approach in this case and it's why I've said I thought it was the weakest of the four. I could see this getting overturned on appeal, but I also think Merchan did a fantastic job of protecting the verdict during the trial and so it won't be easy.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And what about contempt of court ??

Draft saved Draft deleted