1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) What were the dropout rates compared to the past? Without knowing that, you haven't "conclusively" demonstrated anything. It probably doesn't account for THAT difference (but do you know that?), but you need to consider anything that might have gotten rid of subpar students. I'm sure there are other POSSIBLE explanations.
    2) The real reason that is a bit of subterfuge, though. ... Is that the step 1 boards and step 2 boards test different things. Students really sweat the step 1 boards and study their asses off for it. I just had this conversation a few weeks ago with a recent med school grad.... the failure rate on the step 1 test is much higher nationally. Almost nobody fails the step 2 exam. By step 3, people barely study for them. Step 1 tests what you learned in the classroom in the two years. There is a failure rate on it (unlike step 2, which something like 99 percent of students nationally pass -- top medical schools and bottom ones combined). It's not insigificant (whatever the reason) if UCLA saw more students failing the step 1 exam in one particular year. The step 2 exam the next year (which is clinical-based) which 99 percent of people nationally pass has nothing to do with it. They are testing different things.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As someone who worked on affirmative action admissions for both my college and law schools, I disagree with that term vehemently.

Simply because someone had a 4.00 vs. a 3.95 makes them "subpar"? Dig a little deeper, is someone with a 4.0 who has every advantage possible, tutors, study courses, freedom from any monetary responsibilities (never worked), connections in abundance, exposure to the college/grad school life, a "better" candidate than someone with a 3.95 who worked 40 hrs/week to help support their family, to pay for their tuition, entrance exam fees? That's what I believed in and strived for in my affirmative action admissions work. I saw those students excel and become the graduates that the institutions strove to produce. They were not "subpar".

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

And the problem is that the minorities/immigrants were the cause because they decided to "take" those jobs.....oh wait who was making that decision? Old white guys.

4. The Big Ragu

You aren't following or having the same conversation.

I was talking about students at UCLA (if they exist) who failed their Step 1 boards (what the article was pointing to) and then dropped out of medical school (if there was a significant number). If there were students who failed the Step 1 exam, and then left school (because they were subpar). ... it would be meaningless to try to point to third year performance in the aggregate having been better (and again, even that claim was dubious, because virtually nobody nationally fails the step 2 boards). ... you got rid of your subpar students.

I wasn't saying any of that happened. But I was trying to show that the "conclusively" talk was nonsense. ... Off the top of my head I can easily come up with OTHER explanations.

As an aside. ... To do the same kind of criticism on that Free Beacon article. ... it pointed to the increase in the number of students who failed the step 1 boards at UCLA. ... and did it in a vaccuum. What if nationally (all med schools), the failure rate was up that year? Again, I don't know if that is true, but it VERY WELL might have been.

This is the curse of people who want to believe something and will cherry pick whatever they can find to try to support it.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You're right, I got it wrong, sorry.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I refer us all back to this, already posted, in which it is demonstrated that everyone is wrong.

https://www.drvinayprasad.com/p/why-no-one-is-right-about-ucla-medical

Why no one is right about UCLA medical school: Top schools can't settle for *average* grads & Reporters have to analyze data properly
    Failing shelves & average test scores is bad & the Free Beacon didn't prove diversity is the problem

UCLA medical school admissions and test results are being discussed online as a referendum on the schools admission’s program that admits many under-represented minorities— aiming for a diverse class.

Critics say diverse admission policies mean that the students are underprepared for the rigors of being a doctor. Proponents say UCLA is a strong as ever.

Let me walk you through the data & conclusions we can draw.

It all got started with this figure, which was made public by the Washington Free Beacon

7. The Big Ragu

Two other things to consider. ... If you fail your step 1 boards, even if you don't drop out of medical school, you are set back. You might be repeating classes and it may delay when you take your next set of boards. So the whole UCLA rebuttal thing that was supposedly conculsive, may not have even been comparing the same exact set of students.

On top of that, just from a reputational standpoint, when you go to match for your residency, those test scores do matter. Quite a bit. There is no way that the administration wasn't shitting a pickle if the step 1 failure rate was up, because it means fewer of their students will probably be matching with top residency programs, which does even more careerwise for a doctor than the medical school they went to. That has a spillover effect that UCLA's reputation benefits from.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who are the most qualified students? You know and I know we can't accurately quantify that.

We are humans. We do not worship Data Gods. Nor should we.

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Someone actually was responding to an imaginary post?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I meant only the definition that was stated, test passage scores.

11. The Big Ragu

So I'll restate what I said. You are correct, qualified can mean anything you want it to mean. For example, if you want to make a person's race into a qualification for something, or if you are a med school that makes some of its admissions decisions based on the race of its applicants, sure, you might feel that you are picking the most "qualified" applicants.

I'd personally define "qualified" in an academic pursuit along the lines of academic achievement and classroom and test performance. I'd define admissions that make any level of decision based on race as selective racial discrimination. I wouldn't judge the best baseball player based on the color of his skin, either. I'd evaluate that based on how they perform on a baseball field.

In terms of qualifications, medical schools have typically looked at undergraduate grades, the rigor of the undergraduate institution those grades were acheived at, grades in particular in certain prerequisite courses, and MCAT scores. They've used an interview process to make decisions between similarly qualified candidates.

None of this is a discussion about "accurately quantifying" whether candidate A with comparable grades and MCAT scores should get a spot versus candidate B. So I'm not going to play pretend about what it really is about. It started with an article trying to say that UCLA medical school has slipped in quality because of race-based admissions. And while that article tried to turn anecdotes into something comprehensive, it still feeds into a bigger discussion about admissions offices (not just UCLA Med School) that have made race (and may still be even if it's supposedly no longer allowed) into a "qualification" that potentially trumps academic achievment in their decisions.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree on this: No Washington Free Beacon piece is worth two pages of discussion on this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted