1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

OK, that’s one out of three.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do mostly vote for Democrats and I will vote for whichever Democrat (97% it's Biden) runs against Trump. He's just too costly, any way you slice it, for American government. It will not function with him in the White House. With Biden, it does.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm against the discrimination of people based on sex, which is what the ERA points to. I support Title IX, etc.

At any rate, gun control and abortion are not remotely the same issue.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh noes! Someone exaggerated to make a point in a column from 11 election cycles ago.

Surely you can see that a split POV on these topics is rare, then and now.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, publicly, anyway.

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Alma is so inconsistent with his positions it might as well be three different people posting (and maybe it is).

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Part of the problem for Americans is the two-party system.

It's impossible to aggregate every competing, conflicting political ideal, goal or impulse under the banner of only two opposing parties.

A parliamentary system - as unwieldy as it might be here - could afford us a way to build and balance coalitions and contradictory ideas.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be quite so bad if the parties didn't go out of their way to disagree on every damn thing, no matter how obscure, inane or insignificant.

WriteThinking, Liut and Driftwood like this.
  9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Truth is, the two-party system keeps things simple by insisting on absolutes and polar opposites.

Right/left, good/evil, life/death, black/white, us/them.

This keeps the professional wrestling audience engaged and creates an economy of political thought by which a hyena like Clay Travis can feed his family.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Ironic place for me to be posting this, but it’s the proper place. The quotes are as close as I can remember.

Yesterday evening my wife and I are sitting in the living room looking out over the water. She says, “do you want to know what the republicans have said now?” “No”
    “Well, they’ve said…” “I’m going outside.”
    I fix myself a nice beach drink, go out on the deck, turn on Bob Marley, and start watching boats through my binoculars.”
    Here she comes. “I’ll sit with you.” “Ok. Look at the water. You want a drink?” At which point she hits play on video from Trump’s Vegas rally. I lose my shit.
    “JFC. I told you I don’t want to hear that shit. I don’t want to hear about Donald Fucking Trump. I want him out of our lives. It’s a beautiful Sunday evening. I’m having an excellent time sitting on our deck and enjoying our lives. Quit looking for something to be mad about. I don’t want to fucking hear it.”

Draft saved Draft deleted