1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Right now this country is two houses across the street from each other that thinks their neighbor is trying to burn their house down, and both of them think they have evidence.

I think what Trump did from 2017-21 is in the historical record, and frankly "Trump as arsonist to the administrative state" was one of the few coherent philosophies of his administration. Let's just treat that as a given.

But I really do think Obergefell (if not the election of Barack Obama) changed the nature of the debate for many of his supporters, and why they don't care who he hurts if it means he gets back into the White House. Before 2015, most conservative bogeymen were either entirely fictional creations of the likes of Rush Limbaugh, or entirely ignorable. I mean, even if there was a law, who's gonna sign up to take people's guns away in Kentucky? And here in Texas, the (gays) and the uppity (blacks) know their place.

From the Obama era forward, when things like a Black president, gay marriage being the law of the land, a pandemic in which the government had to enforce significant restrictions on people's freedoms in the name of public health, a significant nationwide reckoning in the way the country viewed policing, cities and race relations, there has been a significant amount of change in this country. After all, Obergefell was decided less than nine years ago.

Martin Luther King Jr. would probably say that the arc of the moral universe was just a little shorter than it's been in the past, but depending upon your viewpoint, the difference between an arc and a slippery slope is not that obvious, especially if you're the kind of person who has been conditioned for the better part of three decades to see any concessions made by straight white Christian people as an erosion of the country's moral and historical structure.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

And after having MTG as their guest speaker last year, the Idaho State GOP convention has Lake this weekend (an event that, of course, is in Coeur d'Alene).

Glad to be out of there, especially in an election year.

Neutral Corner, Liut and garrow like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

But at least he's funny.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...06/11/trump-threats-scare-agents/74039044007/

WASHINGTON − Steve Bannon, who has advised former President Donald Trump, just warned the last two ex-FBI directors to "Get your passport, get the hell out of the country because hey, we're coming,” in a second Trump term.
    The presumptive Republican nominee's threats about imprisoning his opponents have caused such concern among people in U.S. law enforcement and intelligence that some are talking about leaving the country to avoid unfair prosecution if Trump wins a second term, according to Andrew McCabe, the former head of the FBI.
    And Bannon, who served as an advisor to Trump's 2016 campaign and in the White House during his first term, said on his "War Room" podcast Saturday that McCabe and his predecessor would be targeted by a Trump White House for having investigated Trump's alleged collusion with Russia and other activities.
    “We will hunt you down," Bannon said in reference to McCabe and his predecessor, James Comey.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He should have months added to his sentence just for the terroristic threat.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's a real discredit to American society that Alex Jones and Steve Bannon are still sucking up our oxygen. Hopefully that will be rectified at some point.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Lead on, McDuff.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Uh huh. The Biden immigration approach has been such an extraordinary success that Biden issued an executive order to close the border. Why don't ya give his team the coffee mug, I guess.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

HOUSE AND SENATE REPUBLICANS KILLED IMMIGRATION REFORM, YOU MENDACIOUS TOOL!

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I know what you mean by this, and, generally speaking, I agree.

But if somebody asked "well, what is the administrative state," we'd have to answer "it's part of the executive branch." And then we'd have to ask why each executive has to approach his own "administrative state" in the same way.

Now, I'm not saying what Trump did, vis a vis the administrative state, was right. I am saying that, as those folks have become repeated anonymous sources for journalists, we've tended to amplify their concerns quite a bit...to the point where we may overrate the value of it, and almost treat it like a fourth branch of government.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The reason people support Trump is that they feel he is going to be an authoritarian against everyone else, and not them. But ask the farmers how that tariff thing worked for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted