1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No matter how cynical you get, it’s never enough to keep up.

2. dixiehack

Again a reminder that the Southern Baptist Convention does not give a shit if a pastor or church worker molests your daughter, except that they are absolutely certain she should carry any resulting pregnancy to term. (Oh, and that pastor better not be a woman.)

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...e-up-ivf-abuse-reform-on-day-one/73999837007/

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Today I learned the Nicene Creed is controversial to our Southern Baptist brethren. It seems like "We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church" really offends some of them.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Also controversial to Southern Baptists: women preaching the gospel. Fuck them.

franticscribe and Driftwood like this.
  5. dixiehack

One of the things that makes Baptists who they are is the rejection of any creeds outside of Scripture itself. There are no bishops or outside elders or other polity to make a local church do what somebody outside the four walls says. All they can do is kick out a congregation they don’t think is following the agreed-upon rules. But you’ll notice there is no controversy like with the Methodists about what happens to the property. That is always owned by the congregation itself.

I was stunned that someone even offered a resolution to adopt the Nicene creed, or any creed. In the SBC I grew up in, you might as well have proposed using Bombay gin for communion.

6. Inky_Wretch

In the same session where the Nicene Creed was debated, they said the Pledge of Allegiance. Weird dichotomy to debate one, but embrace the other.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You know Southern Baptists really don't like Apollo Creed.

Baron Scicluna and OscarMadison like this.
  8. dixiehack

I didn’t say it made sense!

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. dixiehack

10. Inky_Wretch

I saw they actually were debating about ending the Pledge of Allegiance too.

11. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

This actually makes sense. But it won't happen.

12. dixiehack

What a gosh darn coincidence.

Draft saved Draft deleted