1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I blame Satan Hall!

2. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Mixing in a knuckleball like George Kirby there...

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Actually, can she please not? No need to revictimize some poor survivor in the name of fruitless emotional labor.

outofplace likes this.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Just as people don't trust Morris, I don't trust her, at this point, at least, because I wonder what she wants, now that the statute of limitations is probably past in terms of legal accountability. She says she couldn't stay silent any longer, although in another breath she references how she has let a lot of people know about her experiences ever since 1987, again in 2005, and 2007, and, of course, now. Where were her parents in all this? What is their relationship, if any, with the Morris family now, or in the recent past? She never went to the police? Her parents never did? Why not?

As Baron Scicluna mentioned, Morris was lucky he wasn't charged or arrested some 30+ years ago. But why not? Morris was a nobody back then, so maybe there was another reason. But he's almost 63 now. She's 54. To think that either or both parties could not have possibly moved on and done well/better since then, particularly because of what occurred, is simply not true.

Also, I read something earlier today, on my phone while at work, that I wish I could find again, but I've looked and I haven't been able to scrounge it up, that had a quote from Clemishire that sounded just a little too gleeful to me, something along the lines of, "Oh yeah, I think the consequences are starting now."

I suspect that, next, she will be trying to get money out of Morris, and that, then, she'll be satisfied, at least as much as she can be, in the situation. Personally, and unfortunately, I just don't think she's going to get out of this what she thinks she's going to get, or what she wants, either, in terms of justice or personal satisfaction.

5. WriteThinking

I read that Morris and his wife met with Cindy Clemishire, too, back in 1989. I'd like for someone to try to get confirmation of that, or not, from someone besides her.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Unless trauma causes her not to speak out on a timetable that Karen the Dolphin Whisperer finds acceptable, in which case she’s probably just a gold-digging slut trying to give the audience at home a sad.

Jesus probably

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You should probably give up. You keep digging the hole deeper with every post.

8. WriteThinking

What hole? It's my thought, and it's perfectly valid.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Our country expects military pilots and others to use pharmaceutical uppers so why not the Commander in Chief?

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He raped a kid. I do not give a tinker’s damn what is motivating the victim to tell her story.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Even within the system of itinerancy, I've seen this happen in the UMC. When I moved to my second job in 2008, I knew that the pastor and church in town were among the most conservative in the conference (state). He had been in that appointment since 1995. I know the UMC became much slower to move people due to impacts on families and propensity to disrupt happy and growing churches, but in the years immediately proceeding my arrival, said pastor had basically shut down ministry to the local college campus, and the choir, less for lack of interest and more because they had become a nexus of opposition to his viewpoints.

They finally moved him in 2009. It just so happened I was out of town the last weekend in June, and traditionally (at least where I am), July 1 is the start date for new appointments. I was told his last service was over two hours long. I'm not sad I missed it.

He had two further appointments before retiring this year. Before that happened, he led his church out of the UMC into the GMC, and most of his most devoted allies in my town led the breakaway from the church I attended when I lived there. Surprisingly, it's still standing. More than I would have expected. There was a couple who had retired from there to Salt Lake City that was streaming his services at his new GMC church rather than go to their local church in Utah, which I find kind of ridiculous. After all, I could have driven about five minutes across the canal to the UMC in the next town over and at least had a pastor who was closer to the center, but I opted for the one three blocks from my apartment because I believed in growing where I was planted and that maybe we could learn from each other. For reasons I can't explain by anything other than my negligence, I still follow him on FB. He retired to the same town in the UP where I started my career and has been posting regular updates of their church-shopping exploits.

franticscribe and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Do you not think she was assaulted when she was 12? He's admitted it, he even says in his statement: "I submitted myself to the Elders of Shady Grove Church and the young lady's father. They asked me to stop out of ministry and receive counseling and freedom ministry, which I did."

Do you not think there was pressure from every avenue -- the elders, the community, her own family -- to keep it from the police? Good god, this happens in every environment beyond the church, in schools and offices and living rooms, and we should at least accept this as a basic starting point.

Do you not think it's completely human for someone to rejoice that "consequences are starting now" once their abuser has finally been exposed?

I understand your sadness over losing a religious figure you admire. I don't understand your anger toward his victim -- especially when none of it is alleged.

Draft saved Draft deleted