1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Kimbrel is now 0-4 in one-run save situations. Not good.
    Loved seeing the O's plaster the Great Satan twice in less than 24 hours, but multiple trades may be required to keep the team near the top of the division and give it a hope of a playoff series win. Burnes and Rodriguez are a nice top of the rotation, but the rest of the rotation consists of a journeyman (Suarez), a command-challenged rookie (Povich) and a swing man who may be struggling after having his role yanked around (Irvin). Can't count on Kremer. He's probably going to be ruled out at some point soon.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Started following this guy during the last talks.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're not wrong, though I'm sunnier on Irvin, if he's the No. 4 or 5 starter. The Orioles' farm system is deep in hitting, but not in pitching. Povich was really the only major-league ready piece in Norfolk. I'd give him a little more time before making any drastic judgements. Rodriguez wasn't great early on last year either. Povich pitched admirably on Wednesday, especially considering who was on the other side (Cole), and his next two starts are slated to be at home against Cleveland and Texas.

Not a ton out there to trade for. No idea if the Angels would be willing to part with Tyler Anderson or if the White Sox would consider dealing Erik Fedde, who's value is probably at a high point right now. Both have a year left on their contracts after this year and are pitching well for bad teams.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I did see Fedde last week. The pure view of his pitches is completely different from when he was a mediocre AA starter for parts of four seasons in Harrisburg. Something clicked.

He broke out in Korea last year -- 20-6, 2.00 ERA, WHIP under 1. He put in 180 innings, and was the KBO League MVP.

Regarding the O's pitching prospects ... you're about right. The only guy left in Norfolk who would raise an eyebrow would be Chayce McDermott, and he's 2-5 right now. 101 Ks in 71 innings, tho.

One other thing: I've come to the conclusion that 6-through-9 in the Yankees lineup is putrid. Like having an inning off.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I know I'm pretty damn old when I watch the Cooperstown-arced Craig Kimbrel turn into Doug Sisk in my baseball lifetime.

For a very good team the Yankees seem to get shut-out a lot.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It's sorta wild how mediocre everyone is. You can be the Orioles and tank for half a decade and develop a historic crop of prospects or you can be the Yankees and throw money and overrated prospects at your problems or you can be the Dodgers and do all of that. Yet would you feel comfortable betting on any one of them to get to the World Series, never mind win it?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The loss of Bradish creates a hole in the No. 2 spot that Grayson Rodriguez might not yet fill. It feels like he spends too much of his time pitching out of trouble.

Still, he's allowed three hits or less in three of his last six starts. So ...

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The question @Deskgrunt50 isn't "Will the Mets will win the World Series this year?" It's "Will the Mets become the first team to win the World Series twice in one year?"

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

1927 Yankees or 2024 Mets?

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Re: the league kinda stinking and being injury-riddled, if you merely play solid defense and scratch out four runs a game right now, you are an above average team. It’s all Cleveland is doing. Don’t do stupid things defensively, get a few runs and build a lockdown bullpen and you might win 100 games this season.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No one cares about my AL-only fantasy baseball team that features Kevin Pillar, Corey Julks, Abraham Toro, Gavin Sheets, Davis Schneider, Jake Meyers, David Hamilton, David Fry, Jose Miranda, and IKF receiving more than 30% of my plate appearances this year.

EDIT: My FIRST-PLACE BY FAR fantasy baseball team

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted