1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think he’s brilliant, but the only office he has ever won is mayor of South Bend. He couldn’t get elected to anything else in Indiana. And he didn’t come out until after winning his second term.
    If he wins something in Michigan, where I think he now resides, I’ll be on board.

gingerbread and garrow like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Obama and Clinton went the distance in the primaries in 2008 and it didn't hurt a bit. Clinton and Sanders did the same and it hurt quite a bit. So who knows?

3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is about winning the election. And I don't think a California-California ticket does that. This is part of the appeal of a Michigander like Whitmer -- that, and her executive experience.

Personally, I'd take a Whitmer-Mayor Pete ticket and call it a day. But that's just me. It's not about winning my vote; I'm Vote-Blue-No-Matter-Who. It's about winning the votes of a strand of moderates in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, North Carolina and the Omaha metropolitan area who will decide the election.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was a political thing - previously scheduled, then they dropped the debates on that date. So whatever.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, America---give Trump the power to make the SCOTUS even worse and longer-lasting!

gingerbread likes this.
  6. DanOregon

I don't know which is worse, Biden's performance last night or getting three of the same three e-mails from "Joe" asking me to donate about an hour apart last night. Not the sign of an "all is well" campaign. I do wonder if James Clyburn may have a word with Joe. Its all going to come down to the polling. Heard a good point today, usually Trump stomps all over a bad Dem story by doing something or saying something ridiculous - but he's been off social media and just letting the Biden stuff percolate and breath. Which is smart.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not gonna win Ohio anyways, so that shouldn't stop them from doing the right thing.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Jim Clyburn said "stay the course" today. But there may be other convos behind the scenes.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

A second Trump term will be a disaster the likes of which we've never seen before, folks. Believe me. Okay? Because the immigrants with the maritime batteries and the great whites, which is a name I think would apply to so many wonderful people, you all know who I am thinking of, you're smart, I think.

10. DanOregon

I know Biden is a "good person." The worry is that those around him aren't willing to give up their clout in DC or in his administration and egg him forward. I wouldn't expect anything to happen until Monday or Tuesday. I don't know if Biden can "reassure" America in that span, or if there is a terror suspect he can take out between now and then, broker Middle East peace or get Russia to quit their Ukraine efforts, but I do think there is some serious polling going on.
    And with so many people on vacation this week and next, its really a weird time to get a good assessment. Curious what the "cross-tabs" will say. I imagine his support may soften the most among seniors who are facing the same challenges.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This wasn't simply a "lousy debate," like Ford saying Eastern Europe is free, or Nixon sweating like a waterfall.

It showed to many, if not most, objective, independent voters that Biden is an old and frail man who has lost 10-15 MPH on his fastball and is in no way, shape or form a viable choice to lead the country for four more years.

Even if the other guy is a POS criminal Nazi in bed with the Russians.

How many people in the 20s and 30s woke up today saying, "Man, he reminds me of grampa." His wife needs to take him aside and tell him the gig is up. Except she won't, because she loves the power of the Presidency too.

WriteThinking, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I get that. Me? I think I've spent less than an hour mowing in my entire life.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted