1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running SCOTUS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He'll tell them to pound rocks at Gitmo.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gold star to anyone (from either side) who can name a case which was decided along party lines AGAINST what they were hoping for . . . yet being able to say, "Well, I was hoping they'd rule the other way, but by God they nailed it from a law and Constitutional standpoint."

Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You do realize we have a president in office who has done that several times, right?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Biden’s first official act under this ruling is to have Trump killed as a matter of national security. Then start rounding the rest of the traitors up; a D-10 will dig a nice mass grave for them.

Starman likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If Beden does not immediately start to run against the Supreme Court his advisors should be flushed for malpractice.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Example?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Thanks again, Ruth

Driftwood likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

It's a f*ckin' outrage that Donald F*ckin' Trump (who wouldn't know the difference between Thurgood Marshall and Sarah Marshall) appointed almost as many SCOTUS justices (three) as Biden's THREE most recent Dem predecessors (four). Poor Jimmy got zero. Even Ford got one. Crook Nixon got four!

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Many justices discuss this all the time.
    Here's one example. Look specifically at around the 12-13 minute mark (the whole video is great), but Google will find many examples. Barret says she tells her clerks that they need to produce a list of cases that were correctly decided where they dislike the result and vice versa.

I haven't read the decision, but I'm surprised that everyone who is outraged that it is providing protection for the criminal Trump as a former president is not considering that this will also check President Trump from jailing former President Biden. And if your response is that Trump actually committed crimes, that's not very useful.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Rogue court

Bump stocks for everyone!

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My biggest gripe is them punting on what is "official duties" and what isn't. I agree there needs to be a distinction, but not actually saying what that distinction is bothers me. And the fact they now force this issue to play out in the lower courts, if Trump wins, it's all moot. He pardons himself/ends the federal prosecutions against himself and we don't get the answer. It isn't hard to say there is no immunity for attempts to subvert the electoral process when legal remedies exist. So Trump could still be prosecuted.

And this doesn't stop Trump from prosecuting Biden. He just needs to make some bullshit argument that Biden was doing something that didn't involve being president. For example, helping his son with foreign deals or the like.

Draft saved Draft deleted