1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 19, 2024.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think the Paul George signing is a no-brainer for the Sixers. They've got the cap room and this instantly makes them a contender for the next few years. Year four may be a little rough, but the salary cap will be going up considerably. The contract won't look so bad then.

I mean, the Sixers were willing to humiliate themselves for the better part of a decade to try to game the system. They can overpay an old guy for a year or two.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Happy Slovenia Day to Luka.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Buh-bye Splash Brothers.

4. PCLoadLetter

I... would not pay that to Klay.

3 years. Goddamn.

sgreenwell and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This will be good for Klay and the Warriors (in the long term). Klay doesn’t have the pressure of needing to be a superstar No. 2 to help Steph. Luca and Kyrie are the drivers of the offense and Klay can be a sniper who just needs to be in motion. He’s not a lockdown defender anymore which will be interesting on Dallas that was wanting for defense at times. But he’ll be a legit shooting option with none of the pressure in San Francisco.

Meanwhile the Warriors are free to move on and develop. No CP3 and no Klay frees up money and gives their other pieces a chance to shine without pouty Klay mucking things up. Warriors don’t have much longer with Steph and Draymond, so they need quality pieces now that aren’t feeling like they’re owed anything.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 3:00 PM
    HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that LeBron and, to a lesser extent, Steph have warped how good teams think players are in their late 30s. For me, Klay looked done when I watched him last year.

poindexter likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I agree, 3 years, $50 million is probably too much for Klay. He hasn't been the same since his back-to-back, season-ending injuries. But what made him look awful with the Warriors, I think will be a good fit with Dallas. He had times coming off the bench when he had less pressure because he wasn't always creating for Steph and his role was reduced. He's going to have a reduced role in Dallas. Luca is 1, Kyrie is 2 and Klay can draft off their wakes. He doesn't need to create and he doesn't need to carry the team. He just needs to get open and knock down shots. Dallas will need to figure out defense if the three of them are on the floor together. But Klay gets less pressure and Dallas gets another shooter to help take pressure off of Luca.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I will say the about the 76ers. Even barely moving, Embiid was the best player in the series against the Knicks and Maxie was pretty awesome as well. You have to think that Embiid is not going to be effective for more than 3-4 seasons at best so you might as well do everything you can to get talent there now.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think it's a great fit. I don't think he would be successful doing anything more than what the Mavs will ask of him. That will include having him guard the other team's best wing.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Clippers gave up all if this for George and got nothing out of it IMG_2607.jpeg

11. PCLoadLetter

The best spin you can give that deal for the Clippers is that it showed they were serious and it put them in some level of contention for five years. For a team that had always been a laughingstock, that was at least something.

Otherwise... yeah, kind of a disaster. I think they won three playoff series since the deal. Woof.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Let's see if all the Warriors hop on a plane, train, automobile or hoverboard to go visit Klay and talk him out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted