1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrations Mount at Washington Post as Its Business Struggles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 30, 2022.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

One down, one to go.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Bezos edging ahead of David Tepper for Worst Owner award.

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The piece poses a question, then doesn't explore it.

Anyone who's read Marty Baron's book from last years knows the issues at hand at The Post. Bezos is clearly not enamored with elite American journalism as defined by the last eight years of progressive orthodoxy, hired a publisher who intended to thumb his nose at it and practice tough love, only that publisher and his hand-picked editor had ethical skeletons in their closet, too.

So now Bezos is stuck with some kind of mid-level internal revolt - poisonous for a media organization - and no easy way to remaking the culture in the newsroom.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You keep claiming this and never provide any evidence it exists, let alone is rampant.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I dont think Bezos cares so much about the orthodoxy, per se, so much as that it seems to be bleeding cash

This whole thing, from the outside, appears to be
    “We’re losing too much money do something different.”
    “No, no we’re doing it perfectly let us keep doing it”
    Temper tantrums ensue

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The revenue spigot will start flowing again on Jan. 20.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not like before, even if Trump wins.

The media spent three years of his presidency hyperventilating almost daily about one or another, and outside of Charlottesville - a serious lapse in leadership from Trump, a clear racist - I'm not sure some of those things deserved the hyperventilation. Russiagate was and is convoluted, and the call to Zelensky was primarily offensive to a specific class of people that live in a bubble of international intrigue.

So when the big, truly serious stuff showed up - Trump mishandling of COVID and Jan. 6 - the impression of "well of course the media's working this over" was already out there. And it is especially piquant in this moment.

But there are other issues at The Post, which maintain a robust sports department, yet lists sports last on its drop down menu.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure things will be met with much more of a shrug than before, because the die is cast that nothing will "get" him. But I do expect subscriptions to rise.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Alma, I think the media hasn’t “hyperventilated” enough about Trump.

For nearly the past decade he has lied about everything, shown a complete lack of understanding (or caring) about the president’s constitutional duties and threatened people he disagreed with — including the media.

If a newspaper isn’t going to report on and rebuke that, why bother running one?

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But he uses buzzwords like “elite” and “progressive.”

dixiehack and matt_garth like this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Was the Post “hyperventilating” about the theft of military secrets?

Draft saved Draft deleted