1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The narratives people spin. ... and then you lap it up.

These men are corrupt and have gotten fabulously wealthy by knowing how to navigate a pay for play world -- the way all kinds of non Russians do.

But that tweet is stupid.

Vladislav Doronin is a Swedish citizen who renounced his Soviet / Russian citizenship long ago, and spends most of his time between Miami (and other places in the U.S.) and London. FWIW, his brand of corruption aligns way more with Marc Rich (who was his first boss and made him) and Bill Clinton than with Jared Kushner. ... although shady people do inevitably find each other.

Len Blavatnik -- "front man for the Kremlin" according to that tweet -- is an American citizen who gives a boatload of money to Harvard (and Israeli causes). FWIW, he donated a lot of money to Barack Obama's campaigns. Probably at Putin's behest. :rolleyes:

They were both born in Russia (actually, Blavatnik is Ukrainian, not Russian). That's about the extent of their Russiannness at this stage of their lives. Their real citizenship is money.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m equally frustrated by anyone claiming to know what all of this means and where the democrats should go. We are in new waters. This is unlike any decision a party has had to make because no candidate has gone on a nationally televised debate and sundowned for 90 minutes and been over 80 years old.

I don’t know what should be done.

He might recover from this. Trump might do something Trumpy and steal the dunce cap. Or Biden might get trounced in every upper Midwestern state and make this next four months seem like an exercise in futility because the game was lost way back in June.

Because I believe we are living in a simulation, I predict Biden loses but somehow the Democrats win both the House and Senate. Just because everything is stupid now.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Usually the Presidency is the best asset an incumbent has to reelection. They are out there being President, doing things, on the news every night, reassuring the country etc. Biden hasn't used it that way for whatever reasons. My guess is if he could, he would.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

But the rent is too damn high, so this is fine

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Alma doesn't agree with Hawley like Trump doesn't agree with Project 2025.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Even with Vietnam and the disaster that was Chicago, Humphrey nearly pulled it out. And though a lot of smart people reasonably doubt he would've gotten the nomination, I think Bobby Kennedy would have won the general in a walk.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’ve only seen GOP ads for races here, and, man, they’re eating their own, throwing around the RINO label and each professing to be more Trumpy than the others.

I really think one would fuck a pig on live TV if it meant Trump’s endorsement.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

An editor once told me the dangers of always being 50-50 on issues. "If half the people say it's raining and half the people say it's not raining, stick your head out of the window and write what's happening. If it's raining, you're under no obligation to quote the idiots who say it's not.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's a state senate race where I live that's the same thing. One is posting photos of him with Trump and saying he's the true Trump supporter. The other guy is saying he's a stalking horse for the Libs, taking dark money from Soros, etc., and "I'm the one who has been standing with [not the] President Trump."

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Trump wears the Republican Party like a rented tuxedo. When the lights finally go out and the band stops playing, it's going to end up crumpled up in a ball on the floor. The stains he's gotten all over it were already there in 2020 when he lost.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There have been enough examples of Trump having cognitive problems. His stump speeches are a mess of stuttering, stammering, unintelligible, mumbling garbage. And when he is coherent, he's still lying his ass off.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The people on this board are not the ones who need to be convinced that returning Trump is tantamount to national suicide. And those of us asking for Biden to pass the torch know that he’s done a lot of good things he doesn’t get credit for.

But it isn’t about being fair. It’s about winning an election. And to win, you have to get your share of disengaged people who aren’t going to sit still for a Hillary-style list of bullet points. Sorry if that reality offends you, but it was ever thus.

Draft saved Draft deleted