1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

AOC has filed articles of impeachment against Alito and Thomas.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Second-to-last paragraph of the NYT story.

Before the fund-raiser last month, Mr. Clooney had complained to the White House after Mr. Biden criticized the International Criminal Court’s decision to seek a warrant against top Israeli officials over the war in Gaza. His wife, Amal Clooney, a human rights lawyer, had helped conduct the court’s investigation.

George Clooney, a Major Biden Fund-Raiser, Urges Him to Drop Out

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Thank you

MileHigh likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Clooney is a big-time donor, so it is more than just a random celebrity checking in. And this is fairly devastating.

George Clooney, who co-hosted recent Biden fundraiser, says president should step aside in 2024 election

I’ve been lukewarm at best about Kamala Harris’ prospects the last 3-4 years. But right now she is the last chopper out of Saigon.

OscarMadison and franticscribe like this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

swingline likes this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Especially in regard to property taxes.

I pretty much got run out of an apartment 35 years ago, when as a sports editor of a small 6-day daily, I wrote a column supporting a mileage to build a new high school.

At the time, I was renting a really really small apartment that was subdivided out of a house. My landlord got pissed as hell, chewed me out a couple times face to face, then demanded "equal time" in the newspaper, which he got.

He wrote a long rambling LTTE basically asserting that a) I should stick strictly to sports (in fact, claiming that legally I was required to), and b) as a renter, not a property owner, I had no right to opine or vote on property tax issues.

So his letter appears, upon which he immediately claimed I (me personally) had censored, rewritten and distorted to make him look like an idiot (it had undergone normal editing for spelling and basic grammar, and needed plenty; not a word of the substance was changed), upon which he went to the local radio station to bitch (they happily allowed him to) that the newspaper was censoring him. He also threw in some stuff about college intellectuals movin to their hardworkin farm/prison town and tellin them all whut to dew and how to spend their TAX MONEEEY!

After a couple days of this, Mr. Publisher decided to let Mr. Landlord Man submit another letter, typed by him on a single 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, and we would print a photocopy of this letter, to ensure it was precisely as he had submitted, and furthermore, the entire process would take place while I was out of the building covering football games.

So his verbatim letter appears in the paper the next morning, and by lunchtime he's back on the radio claiming the paper had made him look like an idiot again. He was correct on this point.

A couple days later in the Monday paper I wrote a column explaining that numerous court cases had established that renters certainly do have the right to vote in millage elections, since in our hallowed capitalistic system all such millage costs are passed on to tenants in the form of rents and therefore we do indeed pay property taxes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

PS: The millage passed.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
    franticscribe likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I believe DC and other municipalities allow non citizens to vote because they are directly affected by the policies. They still can’t vote in state or federal elections, which renders what the GOP is doing more fear mongering than anything.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I minor nitpick because the spirit of what you said is correct

but

Truman also opted not to run a second time in 1952. He was grandfathered in to be exempt from the 10-year rule, but he didn’t want to go for it.

Liut likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I rent. My rent goes up when my landlord's property taxes go up. Don't tell me I'm not affected just because I don't own my house.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Truman tested the waters early but he was extremely unpopular and got slapped down by Estes Kefauver in the NH primary, so he withdrew in March. His timeline and LBJ's were very similar.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted