1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Virginia won't be in play. He would have to completely flip NOVA, Richmond and the Tidewater, and I don't see it happening. Picking Youngkin as VP won't help either. He's deeply unpopular here.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Worst-case scenario. Possible, but sure seems unlikely to me. I just don’t see Michigan, Pennsylvania or Nevada flipping. Metro Atlanta certainly has not gotten smaller since 2020, but yeah, Georgia is tenuous. You’d like to think that the Democrats learned their lesson about Wisconsin from 2016, but, the Democrats are bad at politics.

So, the other side of my question: Stipulating that all of the states that @dixiehack mentioned are in play, which ones are saved by Harris at the top of the ticket?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Everything after the paragraph break would be OK. I’d feel pretty good about her clawing back Pennsylvania and Nebraska-1. Georgia is probably too far gone at this point. So a dogfight everywhere else. Michigan in particular worries me given the strength of the Arab voting bloc and how pissed they are about our support of Israel.

But at least it’s a chance.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I probably should mention here that I’m a huge fan of Kamala Harris and I think she would be an excellent president. I just despair that if the Democrats ground game is in fact bad enough that we’re having the conversation about replacing Biden at all, what makes any of us think they’re going to be able to get it together in time for a three-month sprint?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Joe Biden had announced a year and a half ago that he was not seeking a second term, and there had been a race for the nomination, I think there is little chance Kamala Harris would have won that nomination in a primary process.

The "don't believe your lying eyes / more of the same" agenda is a loser, whether the incumbent selling it is Joe Biden or Kamala Harris. If anything, she has none of the gravitas Joe Biden supposedly had in 2020. She maybe makes it slightly less of a blowout election, and there is the caveat that Trump can do something terrible between now and November that finally drives a stake through heart and kills the vampire once and for all. But all things equal, Kamala Harris does the same thing that Joe Biden does at this point: they make Donald Trump viable. The whole Democratic Party has this problem, but the unpopular incumbents have the most difficult sales job.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The Republicans continue to act upon their make-believe issues:

MSN

It really is sickening.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Americans I know: all government involvement in economy is socilism!!!!

Same Americans: Trump gonna lower my rent!!!!

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If Georgia, Arizona and Nevada flip, Trump is still short. Throw in Nebraska District 1, then it's a tie.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That would be a best-case scenario and one that I would love to see on Election Night/Week/Month as the ballots come in.

Gwen and I will be doing our part in Georgia to eliminate two MAGA votes.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I, for one, look forward to having to pay a subscription to get tornado warnings when Project 2025 privatizes NOAA.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And Bolton's on again!

But hell, earlier this hour they had on the U.S. Rep for the Virgin Islands ... does she even have a vote?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted