1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tonight was this.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

At least good ol' Bart Stupak lived in the U.P. (Menominee, I believe). Might still be in Michigan for all I know.

This guy? He can't even do the suburban Chicagoan thing and at least spend weekends at the lake house in the Traverse City or Petoskey areas. What a scam.

garrow likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If nothing else, rent a studio apartment in your district.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I remember this exchange from sometime in the '90s. I was a young firebrand sports writer. My buddy was the hot young thing local sports guy on radio. Another friend was the rising star high school football coach.
    Coach: "You boys do pretty well at your jobs?"
    Us: "Not bad, about the same as first-year teacher."

Fast forward to today... coach has since gone on full state retirement and owns a bar; I jumped ship and have greatly improved my lot in life; buddy is one of the best there is at his craft and is still making what a first-year teacher from the '90s made.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I didn't make $20,000 a year until I left both radio and print. My wife was a substitute teacher and made more over nine months than I did in a year.

Sad! Suckers and losers!

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It really is sad. People were required to have college degrees to even get hired at the paper but made less than store clerks. Someone told me in the years I've been gone that the guys in the press room made more per hour than the reporters.
    We had a young woman - single mother with two kids - who lived in public housing. She was told she needed to move because it didn't look good for people in the community to know an employee of the paper lived in public housing. She said she'd love to but needed a raise to afford it. She was let go no too much later.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It took me almost 8 years (and two “management” jobs) in newspapers to make as much as I did delivering pizza at 19.

At one of my last stops, I managed the production staff and was only able to offer $18,000/year for full-time page designers.

$18,000 a year.

In Washington DC.

In the mid-2000s.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The first time I made $70,000 in a year and opened my W2, my wife wondered what I was doing staring at it so long.

“That was three and a half years at the newspaper.”

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

still practice

Draft saved Draft deleted