1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You get to save ONE person

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jul 15, 2024.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The deification of John Kennedy is absurd.

SFIND and FileNotFound like this.
  2. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Has anyone thought of the ramifications for those you're choosing to freeze?

Poor Jimmy Buffett. Frozen in-time playing his hits over and over and over and over again.

"I don't know, I don't know where I'm-a gonna go, when the volcano blow ..." Buffett sang with a tear in his eye, knowing he had been pulled from the arms of paradise to play this song for all eternity for the denizens of SJ.com.

"I WANT SOME FUCKING REST," a 1979-era Buffett exclaimed between songs. "Good Christ, if I have to play 'Fins' one more time for, who is this? Shottie? I'm going to kill myself. ONLY IT WON'T MATTER BECAUSE I'M FROZEN IN TIME AND WILL JUST COME BACK TO LIFE! Well shit, all right, here's 'Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes' for ya. I wish my latitude was heaven, WHERE I WAS HAPPY!"

I'm bringing back every member of this bit of amazingness, even if only two of them are dead. They will repeat their greatest moment on Earth for the rest of my days.

UNCGrad and Batman like this.
  3. YMCA B-Baller

Not a fan of "Abraham, Martin and John", I take it?

I think it's funny when people get their panties in a twist about personalities from eons ago. JFK has been cold in the ground since well before I was born and whatever political influence that came from his presidency has been over for at least 40 years.

And if I'm fair? I had to catch myself doing the same thing. Personally, I think Stevie Ray Vaughn is wildly overrated and boring, but if people dig him, hey, cool. No need for me to take a dump on their Lucky Charms.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think a comp for JFK would be Clinton. He serves two terms, Vietnam still is a quagmire, maybe Johnson's Great Society never happens. We still get Nixon in '68.

PS - the premise of the question is just that the celebrity in question just doesn't die before you do and retains their current abilities of "today." So you'd STILL get Buffett singing the same songs he's been doing for most of his career. To me, Jimmy kind of "peaked" with 5'o Clock Somewhere.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think part of the allure of JFK is the “what if?” thinking. If he’s not killed, maybe we don’t get the Civil Rights Bill, which was putting his re-election in jeopardy. Maybe we get Barry Goldwater instead.

6. justgladtobehere

Him and his whole family as some wholesome example of civic duty is a full on lie and the family was as dirty as any of them.

SFIND and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  7. justgladtobehere

Teddy was a candidate in 1980 and was a "pillar" of the Senate until he died. The kids were holding office into the 1990's.

8. YMCA B-Baller

Oh. So 30 years ago. Gotcha.

Draft saved Draft deleted