1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now on the tee, from USA: The 2024 Open Championship thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Jul 16, 2024.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its funny, I feel the same way. I can't even pinpoint why.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm never excited for it in advance, but once it's Open week, I'm all in.

I feel the same way about playing over there. I know I need to get that done once, the weeklong junket with golf and pints and lousy food, I just keep coming up with excuses not to--mostly the weather. I fully admit I'm an American golf snob when it comes to weather, with no romanticism for playing in rain and crazy wind.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Props to the NBC crew for surviving that afternoon wave that mostly just featured a bunch of people already out of contention making more bogeys.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was on Peacock for a while because I didn't know it was on USA. One of the broadcasters, an English woman, said, "Bryson's mindset has gone from 'I can overpower this course' to 'I can't find my ball.'"

Michael_ Gee, maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Go ahead and book it now.
    Someone from one of the middle groups shoots 64/65 to get right back into the tournament.
    If the R&A/USGA disagree on 20,000,000 things, they will both agree on one thing…..they want people to go low on Saturday.
    Tee boxes up. Easier pins.
    Whatever.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Last group out at 3:45 p.m. Thankfully that's BST so it will be an enjoyable Saturday-Sunday morning here, seven hours back.

maumann likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My buddies just got back from Scotland (50th birthday) and while it sounded kinda cool, not flyover and eat Brit food cool.

On the other hand I almost killed myself in 110 heat today playing 18. Feel kinda stupid but better than work. By 10 I was done.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I definitely dig The Open. Such a different feel than what we normally watch. Maybe I should watch more of the euro tour.

I’d love to do one of those Scotland/Ireland packages. Or one in the U.S. like Bandon Dunes.

For giggles I punched in a Scotland package for that outfit Nick Faldo pimps for in the commercials. Think it’s called Hidden Gems. Punched in a trip for four. One major course (like St. Andrew’s) and three “hidden gem” courses. With good hotel and transportation to and from each round.

It wasn’t as expensive as I expected. But I expected it to be laughably expensive.

Got to play a round in Scotland. The weather was apparently the best weather Scotland has ever had. And it was a parkland course. So, while it was great, it wasn’t too different than in the U.S.

Played one round in Ireland. A seaside links course. And got the absolute full effect. Drizzle. Rain. Hard rain. No rain. Sun. Cloudy. Hard rain. And always strong wind with big gusts.

That was hard. And fun. And memorable.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Golfing in Ireland/Scotland is on my to do list.
    Dad played Ballybunion, Lahinch, and a couple others 30 years ago with a group and had a blast.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We've had a member trip to Ireland the last two years and we're running one to Northern Ireland this year. Scotland next year. We also do some domestic ones, and I'm the staff member heading to Kohler in October. Ready to purchase about a million shit golf balls just to get through the round at Whistling Straits.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I played those two courses over 40 years ago. They were indeed a blast, but if you're not going well, a top links golf course like that will turn your round into a horror very quickly.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Because we have to wake up early to watch this and most writers I know are night owls.

Draft saved Draft deleted