1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking your own clubs to Top Golf - douchebag move or not?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

TopGolf has professionals who give lessons, so that's one reason to bring them.

If I'm going for a social activity with mixed company -- especially with non-golfers -- I'm not bringing them. But I wouldn't really judge anyone if they did, either. TopGolf's clubs are not good.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Golf.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I bring mine, because I care where the ball goes. I'm enough of a golf neurotic to think that if I use their clubs, I'll ruin my carefully calibrated mediocre swing. Ha. And as @Cosmo said, the house clubs are not great. They're built to take a beating, and they do.

One of my best buds is the sales director at the TopGolf here in Indianapolis (so I always get free bay time, so I've got that going for me, which is nice). Fascinating to hear how the biz works and how it pretty much prints money in every market. He and I went to Myrtle Beach a few years ago for a golf trip and stopped by their TopGolf and chatted up their sales director to see how theirs works. Down there, holidays are dead times, which is the opposite of the TopGolf here when families are together and wanting to get out of the house. Their sales team is built and trained to handle last-minute big groups: namely when it rains and the tourists can't make their tee times. In a couple hours it can go from empty to full. My friend said "my entire staff would quit if we were like that."

garrow likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Totally get it why you do it, but to me, it still gives off "Russell Wilson doing high knees down the aisle" on the plane to Europe.

There was a guy walking out of there yesterday with a golf bag bigger than Scottie Scheffler's. He was walking next to a family leaving that included a grandma and a 12 year-old.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If I'm going to what amounts to a driving range, I want to swing my own clubs, if I'm even taking it semi-seriously.

If I'm not, I'll just drink the beer and watch everyone else swing rentals.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do you bring your own balls? Cleats?
    Because the balls are shit.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's no different than bringing your own bowling ball to the lanes, the golf bag is just more awkward to lug around especially with how crowded TopGolfs can be. "Excuse me, pardon me, sorry ..."

Valid point about the balls though.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

While I know full well I lose several balls when I play, I’d rather not purposely lose 50. I intend to bring my clubs back with me.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I would think, like most restaurants and sports bars, Top Golf makes its money off the drinks. The golf part and goofy scoring system helps keep people ordering the food and drinks.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I went to the one in Glendale, Ariz., a few years ago. I couldn't decide if it was a driving range with a sports bar or a sports bar with a driving range. I wouldn't take my clubs, but I would take my gloves.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I’ve done Top Golf a couple of times and love it, even though I gave up real golf decades ago, in large part because I was horrible at it.

I’m a lefty, and they have LH clubs (I no longer own a set — see above). In fact, I’ve used their left-handed women’s clubs before, as I am vertically challenged.

The funny thing is, both times I’ve been, I’ve won multiple games. As noted , I’m a terrible golfer and I don’t have a strategy — I just whack it out there and see what happens. So I’m thinking luck beats skill at Top Golf.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Exactly where I'm at. Been a few times, and generally don't bring mine, just because to me it's a social/drinking/eating activity, with a little golf thrown in. I have gone with my group of golf buddies, where we drink, gamble and get competitive in the games, and I've brought mine then. But not the whole bag, just a driver and 3-4 irons.

As far as "douchebag move," I'm not going to judge anyone either way. The older I get, the more and more I find myself with a "you do you" approach and don't really spend time thinking about what others are doing unless it impacts my life. Or I try to, at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted