1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure American history trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure about a state motto, but “Vaffanculo” is the unofficial Italian motto Chicagoans use most! ;)

garrow likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A. is Maryland.

Can’t remember the Italian words, but they translate as something along the lines of “strong actions, soft words.”

garrow likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Well done everyone

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

New York State's is Latin, Excelsior.

Under it on the state shield is E pluribus unum, the former motto of the United States until it was co-opted and changed by the Christian right.

Oregon's is "She Flies With Her Own Wings," which is pretty neat.

5. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Most people know the Badgers fight song, "On Wisconsin." I'm sure someone here can come up with the person who is often credited with coining the phrase that is the song title.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

La Follette?

7. Mr._Graybeard

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

John Reynolds or Abner Doubleday, urging the Iron Brigade forward into the Railroad Cut on 7/1/1863?

9. Mr._Graybeard

No, but you're on the right track.

10. Mr._Graybeard

OK, I've sorted through a couple days of the Joe Biden thread -- it took a while.

Lt. Arthur MacArthur Jr. was scaling the heights of Lookout Mountain with the 24th Wisconsin in 1863 when he took up the regimental banner from a fallen flag bearer and rallied the troops with the storied cry to summon cheesehead valor. And it worked! His father was governor of Wisconsin for four days because of an electoral dispute for the office in 1855; after it was resolved he assumed the lieutenant gov's post. You also may be familiar with Art Jr's son, Doug.

I'll burn a potential trivia question here: Some years after the Rebellion, Arthur MacArthur received the Medal of Honor for his gallantry at Lookout Mountain, a medal Douglas MacArthur also received, making them the first father-son duo of Medal of Honor recipients.

Liut likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kamala Harris would be the first President since this person to serve without ever winning a primary. And no, it isn't Ford - he won several during the '76 campaign.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Tyler?

Draft saved Draft deleted